Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, go ahead and start him

5 100.00%
  • Nope, wait a little longer

0 0%

Thread: Signs of readiness?

Default Signs of readiness?

I had no intention of starting Silas on solids anytime soon. He will be 6 months on the 25th and even still I wasn't in any kind of rush to start. But here's what he's doing. He has been present at meals with us everyday. He eats when I eat a lot of the time. He has definitely shown interest in what I am doing for awhile. I know that doesn't mean he's ready, he's just "watching this interesting thing that I'm doing". He watches my hand go to the plate and then to my mouth. It's actually pretty funny because the 2 dogs are there doing that too Any way. He is starting to sit up, albeit teetery. His tongue thrust reflex seems to be gone but I'm not positive and he's almost 6 mos. But there's something new this week. As he watches me eat he has started making his "hungry hum" and jutting his chin out, this is his biggest and most obvious hunger cue. Then he starts smaking his lips (this new). I have been feeding him before I eat lately so I know he doesn't want the breast at this point (they've just been emptied). My thoughts are that he is ready to start solids...what do you think?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Signs of readiness?

You know, the great thing about BLS is that the food is sensory play unless a baby is ready to eat solids. If they're not ready, they push it around, smear it, taste it, etc, but don't EAT it. If they're ready? They eat.

I say go for it if you're feelin' it. He'll let you know what he wants to do with it.

ETA: I wouldn't start spoon-feeding him just yet, though, since it's harder to tell whether or not he's really ready.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Signs of readiness?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    You know, the great thing about BLS is that the food is sensory play unless a baby is ready to eat solids. If they're not ready, they push it around, smear it, taste it, etc, but don't EAT it. If they're ready? They eat.

I say go for it if you're feelin' it. He'll let you know what he wants to do with it.

ETA: I wouldn't start spoon-feeding him just yet, though, since it's harder to tell whether or not he's really ready.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png