Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just can't let go....

Default Just can't let go....

So DS is now 13months old...I'm still pumping at work, I guess because I really can't get him started on whole milk....He just doesn't like it and won't drink more than ounce of it at a time...
    So, I've still been pumping at work but I stopped all galactogogues...And my pumping ouput had gone way down. I took one session out and was only pumping for two and had to go back to three and am still only pumping about 10ozs. - which is really nothing and doesn't cover much more than one feeding for DS...I'm just feeling like my body is trying to tell me something and I'm fighting it..
    Is it time to just let go? Should just give up pumping?? I feel like my supply is dwindling - is that possible?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Default Re: Just can't let go....

10 oz is a good amount to be pumping at 13 months!!
    If you don't want stop and your body is still good to go with some milk, why stop? Sure your going to be producing a little less and a little less. That's how it goes, that's not telling you to stop right now, just that things are slowing down. Like they do.

I pumped until about 22 months. NO WAY I would have ever thought I'd do that. Pumping felt useful though, after not really needing it (DS was nursing fine while home and at night) then the pressure was off and what I had was just icing on the top.

Also for the record, it's not necessary to do cows milk! I personally loathe the stuff. Hate it, always have. You can get all the nutrition in cows milk elsewhere. DS seems to have taken after me, he doesn't drink it either besides with cereal. If your LO is nursing or taking your milk 4 times a day or more your good with most of his nutrition still.

I was also torn when I gave up pumping at 14 months. She wasn't drinking the bottles anymore so I just stopped offering them and slowly pump weaned. My DD still does not drink cow milk - I've never offered though. She still nurses about 5 times or more per day so I'm not worried about it. You stop when you feel it's the right time to stop. I know, I felt weird b/c I was pumping after 1, but I tried not to let that get in the way of me providing for my baby. I felt like I was supposed to be pump weaning or something, it was weird. Anyway, when dd stopped drinking the bottles and playing with them and spilling them all over, I knew then it would be okay if I stopped pumping.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I wish I was still able to pump 10 oz. when DD turned 13 months.

Do what feels right mamma. I just gave up puming at 14 months. At first I was extremly apprehensive. I felt like if I was giving DD breastmilk while I was away I was still caring for her. However, now that I've ditched the pump, I am totally reenergized about nursing her for as long as we both desire.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks mommas!
    I just need that boost...I want to wean I know since we co-sleep, he's probably getting enough...
    I just feel like once I stop, I can never go back...But I probably wouldn't want to, right?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    Thanks mommas!
    I just need that boost...I want to wean I know since we co-sleep, he's probably getting enough...
    I just feel like once I stop, I can never go back...But I probably wouldn't want to, right?
    Well it's not true that you could never go back, it's just easier to keep doing it. But it's bittersweet for sure!!