Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing position in bed

Default nursing position in bed

How do you do it? I've nursed lying on my side quite a few times but end up with the worst low back/behind hips ache ever. It's so painful so I switch sides but it ends up being easier just to get my baby up and nurse in the recliner. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: nursing position in bed

i can get lower back pain as well when i nurse her in bed while on my side... i found putting a firm body pillow wedged behind me, gives me much needed support and makes my back feel better. also putting a pillow between my legs helps as well.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

I thought pillows might help but I took my extra pillows off the bed since we co-sleep to be safer. Do you just make sure it's not near her or pull it in when it's time to eat?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

THATS whats causing my lower back pain?? Good to know Maybe I will also try the pillow behind my back....
    Married to the love of my life of 10 years, and mommy of two amazing boys who completely have my heart.

i don't really move a whole lot when she's in bed with me. i have one pillow for my head which i makes sure is mostly behind me so there's nothing near my DD then the body pillow is behind me. she likes to rest her legs on mine so i'm almost in a fetal position with her in the middle(bit hard to explain) and i lean back into the pillow. with the blankets i have them folded & tucked under the mattress so even if she pulls on them she can't get them past her armpits ( they go to my midsection) & the heats on so we usually end up sleeping without blankets or it gets to hot. I can do this on either side and i'm usually between her and my boyfriend ( he can be a heavy sleeper and I don't want to give him the chance to roll over on her). i find this most comfortable for me. So basically there's nothing at all around her but myself (all the pillows are behind me). A friend of mine uses those long firm circular pillows... like the decorative ones u use when you make the bed... and she finds that helps when put behind her back.

recently i started putting her in her crib for the first half of the night, it's when she has the longest stretch of sleep ( about 7 hrs) without needing to feed and then i'll get up and either get her and bring her to bed to feed/co-sleep or feed her and put her back in her crib for a few hours then bring her into bed with me when she wakes up 2-3 hrs later.. that really depends on how tired i am
    Last edited by @llli*manddbp; November 12th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: mommy brain
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

I could not get nursing lying down right to save my life, until Brody was about 5 months old. Now I have no idea how I survived without it.
    One of the most comfortable ways we do it is almost like a V position, where the tip of the V would be breast and baby's mouth. So since my lower body is away from him, I cross my top leg (which I bend) over the bottom leg, and it's really comfortable on my hips that way. I hope that made sense. I end up kinda twisted, but it's comfy. It might help with lower back or hip pain.
    Good luck!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

One thing you can try that works for me is nursing with the "top" boob instead of the "bottom" one. Then I can support my weight with my arms wrapped around a pillow at my head and I can sleep like that without it stressing my back. Maybe worth a try for you?

I put a pillow behind me and one folded between my legs.then I have my arms stretched to one side and above my head.
    but I was reading this thread and just figuring out all the tricks moms find to sleep confy and thought it would be funny to have a side position picture thread with all mamas-contortionist showing their secrets!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

I don't use pillows or anything (except the one under my head). I lay right on my side and use my top hand to hold the breast up just a smidge or compress it. DS turns his head down a little to eat. It works for us, but there are often leaks.

We have a crib sidecarred to the bed. When DS needs to eat off the other side I usually turn so my head is at the foot of the bed. I was turning to face DH but he moves too much. This way we just sleep the other way for an hour or two until the next time.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

i prop baby on pilllow so that my back doesnt hurt. I have little boobs so its hard if i just put it on the bed haha so i put in on a pilliow!
    Daddy and Mommy are highschool sweethearts!
    08.10.03<3

Young Mommy of 2!
    Cassidy Ann
    32w 4.9lbs 18in
    NICU for 1 and 1/2 months

Damien Joseph
    38w 7.1lbs 19in
    Came home in 2 days!
    and LOVING IT!