Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 m/o not tolerating solids

Lightbulb 10 m/o not tolerating solids

I'm trying to find as many sources of help for a friend.
    I've been helping her since her DS was born. She had reflux problems with him as a newborn due to her caffeine and chocolate intake. Once she cut it out-it went away. She has been trying to introduce solids to him for the last couple of months. Anything she gives him gives him bad gas, green poop, and a lot of fussiness. She's tried raw and cooked foods. He can tolerate only white boiled rice. I can't find any good resources on why it might be going on. He has not had other allergies evident through mama milk.
    Ideas please?
    Thanks!
    beth

Default Re: 10 m/o not tolerating solids

How old is her son??? If he can't tolerate solids then it usually means he is not ready, babies' digestive systems are very immature and need to be taken care of with great respect, mother's milk is the best source of nutrition. Is she still breastfeeding?
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Not all kids have allergies evident through bm. My DS did as did others on the forum, but plenty of others did not have any evident reactions from bm and still have serious issues when they injest the food.
    It could be the child isn't ready for solids, or it could be an indiction of food allergy/intolerance. The gas, green poop, and fussiness could be an allergy. There are other things that can signal an allergy ("ring of fire" around the anus, eczema flare-ups, hives, stuffy nose, congestion, etc.).
    Has she consulted her doctor about any issues she is having?
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Her son is 10mos. She does and always has EBF him.
    Our hunch is allergies--but if she's not eating anything that's hurting his tummy, and then not giving him "allergy" foods-why would he react to every single thing? I'm not joking-avocados, bananas, potatoes, some rice, barley, oats, apple, pear, etc etc etc. She's okay with continuing to EBF him-but also doesn't want to run into problems of introducing foods.

oh wow, just about the same age as my LO, and he is still not eating very many solids if at all most days, but it is not due to allergies, he just doesn't want to "eat." I am really clueless in the allergy realm of things. I have heard so much conflicting advice about it. It sounds like something more serious though if he is reacting to everything. I would definitely seek the advice of a doctor.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

If he reacts to everything, he likely just has an immature gut still. My LO is like that, and he is 7 months old.

Babies can survive and thrive on breastmilk alone for 12 months or more so at this point she should probably just wait another 4-6 weeks (recommendations I received from my pediatrician) before trying solids again and start with the least "allergenic/sensitive foods" like pears and squash.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy