Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Time Bottle

Default Night Time Bottle

I would like to supplement one night time feeding with a bottle so that my husband and I can share the feeding and each get a block of sleep. I have enough milk that I can pump a bottle in the morning after feeding for use the following night.

My question is will my breasts become too engorged by skipping the night feeding? Will I have to wake up anyways to pump?

Default Re: Night Time Bottle

I don't think so. I did this when Lilah was very small before I figured out how to nurse laying down. I didn't have to wake up to pump.

How old is your baby?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You will probably have to wake up in the beginning to pump, though if you choose to do this I would suggest hand-expressing just enough for comfort so that your body decreases its production at that feeding time. On the other hand, you might not actually get a better night's sleep - check out this new study.

Have you considered cosleeping or sidecar-ing your crib instead? A lot of mamas find that they can learn to nurse without ever quite waking up, and that they get a LOT more sleep when baby's right there (I know that I did).
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

It depends how old your baby is.

If you are still establishing your supply- within the first 3 months or so give or take- it could cause you to produce less milk if you skip a nursing session and don't replace it with pumping. If your baby is older you will probably be OK to skip a session. You'll be full the first few days, but your body will learn to produce less milk at that time. If you find you are uncomfortably engorged you may want to pump off enough to relieve the pain to avoid plugged ducts or mastitis. And if you notice it is affecting your supply you can add that nursing session back in.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Have you considered cosleeping or sidecar-ing your crib instead? A lot of mamas find that they can learn to nurse without ever quite waking up, and that they get a LOT more sleep when baby's right there (I know that I did).
    That's what I do too. Cool article!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous