Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: water questions

Default water questions

Nessa LOVES water - if she could suck down the entire bathtub full, she would.

She has been having solids sporadically - like 4-5 days a week or so - but we really haven't been giving her water. I figured if she is still having those loose, bfy stools that she doesn't need any water. But she really likes water, and I wonder if that means her body is telling her she needs water.

So, did you mamas give your los water with solids, or did that come later? Is watching her pee/poop output a good way to gauge if she needs water in her diet?

Why does this sound like such a stupid question when I write it out?
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

Default Re: water questions

I don't know that it is your LOs body telling her she needs water...she should be getting all of the hydration she needs from your BM. That said, my LO would drink the bath tub as well! In fact, I posted just a few days ago about her drinking water. We finally just decided to give it to her in a sippy cup. Of course, she is 8.5 mo...older than your LO but, I wouldn't worry about making sure she gets water.
    HTH
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

My son was the same way His favorite toy in the bathtub has always been a cup. Before he could get water out of a cup, his favorite toy was a wet rag. Funny kid.

I personally think kids are just trying to figure it out-they do see you drinking out of a cup all the time! You can start with a little water with solids, but she probably doesn't actually need it. It's part of practicing to eat

Also, I don't like sippy cups! (*speech pathology hat*) Kids don't really need them, and they can cause some problems-ear infections, weaning issues, etc. I know everybody seems to use them, but that's the way of baby paraphernelia
    We started my son with a shot glass (which was really really cute), and now he can drink out of a regular cup. It actually worked out well because he couldn't drink much out of it at first, when he didn't need it but wanted to practice. It was only messy inside if he's allowed to run around with it... which he wasn't. He's usually good about sitting down to drink and keeping the cup on the table now!
    I'm Sarah,
    still a , dairy free due to baby's allergy, , cloth , Momma to...
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)
    while *still* trying to finish my dissertation!

Interesting about the sippy cups! I'm an SLP, too and my LC just suggested seeing if my lo might take it instead of her bottle so she has to nurse to get her sucking needs met. How do you feel about sippy vs. bottle? Sorry to get off topic...
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Does this count as ? I just wanted a ninja.
    fellow SLP!

I'm not sure about sippy vs. bottle. I suppose it's a step down, but so many sippy cup tops are soft these days... it's almost a bottle anyway! I've seen plenty of kids sucking on them. What's *in* said sippy cup? I don't see any problem with just switching to a cup if the purpose is to encourage sucking at the breast. If the worry is about your LO being able to get all the contents of the cup, my son was pretty good about sipping from it when I was holding it. I imagine daycare providers might have a problem with that, I don't know. I don't have much experience with that.
    I'm Sarah,
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)

It's my milk either way, she just had to use a bottle early on due to removal issues (and still does) and strongly prefers the bottle. The LC was hoping that a sippy cup wouldn't be as enjoyable? or at least make her suck at the breast (or her fingers since she loves them now!) more.
    Oh, and for another (I'm sorry to hijack) question but would you put water in it initially just to see if she could swallow it OK? I am thinking of the Frazier water protocol and don't want her to aspirate milk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I wouldn't worry about the water protocol unless you already suspect swallowing problems. Most young babies do fine with even a straight cup. Just take it slow Depending on the sippy cup, the flow is sometimes slowed with a valve, so it won't be a strong flow. Even with just the hard top with holes, you'll be able to control the flow pretty well-especially if you can see the liquid level-y'know?
    If you try a straight cup, one of those nosey cups would help you be able to see better. That's the only problem I saw with helping my baby drink from one-I couldn't tell where the water level was!

If it works for you to get her back to the breast, I think it's a great idea I think I'm really just opposed to them for long-term or primary tool use. I didn't really think all the way through the possible uses
    I'm Sarah,
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)