Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 months old, not tolerating rice cereal?

Default 6 months old, not tolerating rice cereal?

I just started my lo on rice cereal. He had 1-2 tablespoons, for 3 days. Is it possible that it is causing him terrible gas, and that is why he all of a sudden is not sleeping, and waking up every 2-3 hours? I also hear his stomach making all sorts of gurgling noises. We gave it to him in the evening.
    I thought that rice cereal was supposed to be very easy to digest? Is it possible that it is making him gassy?
    He is not constipated, he poops several times a day.
    He is going to me 6 months old next week, so shouldn't his digestive system be mature enough? Should I try oatmeal instead?

Default Re: 6 months old, not tolerating rice cereal?

It's quite possible. Rice cereal is actually not necessary and doesn't have much nutritional value. You can try backing off rice cereal for a few days and see if he gets better and then introduce other foods such as bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes, apples, etc.

I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I second that, the rice cereal is really nothing more than a filler. Try the bananas or maybe mashed pears or applesauce. And yes to the avocado as well! My son loves all those things.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Third hand here!
    We started with avocado-instant baby food, and it comes in its own bowl! Just make sure it's ripe
    I'm Sarah,
    still a , dairy free due to baby's allergy, , cloth , Momma to...
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)
    while *still* trying to finish my dissertation!

My 6.5 month old DS cannot tolerate solids at all as of yet. We will be waiting until 8 months now per pedi's recommendation.

His symptoms sound similar to your LOs. My DS would have colic x 10 for 3-7 days post-solid introduction. He would wake during the night screaming every time he needed to pass gas, and during the day he would scream everytime he needed to pass gas or poop. Needless to say, he was miserable.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy