Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch Correct?

Question Latch Correct?

I have twin boys 11 weeks 1 day taken 6 weeks early. They were NICU, one for 10 days and one for 3 weeks and were given bottles of EBM or formula. Pleanty of wet diapers, poop once a day or every other day.

I have problems getting them to open wide to latch and most times jus let them do what they can. My nips are pretty large, almost the size of marbles. I have read that there should be no crimping, white spots, or any change in the nipple once the baby de-latches in order for the latch to have been proper. When my boys latch, wide mouth or not, it does not hurt. Sometimes my nips come out looking like a lipstick tip or are white on the tip. Does this mean the latch was bad? Not getting enough milk? If so, how the heck do I get them to open wide? They cannot take more than about an inch of my breast (first knuckle on my pinly) or they start gaggng.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Latch Correct?

First, congrats - twins!

My DS (now 3 months) never gave me that bite-into-a-burger wide-mouth latch. I am no expert but from experience, so long as you are not sore or cracked and you are having good diaper output, they are gaining wieght, don't worry about it. The white on the nipple I can only assume is your breasts' milk.
    Mom to three boys, all bf'd and thriving

It definitely sounds like the latch is a bit shallow. However, if it's not hurting and they are feeding fine, it's not necessarily something to worry about (on the principal of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). That said we had a mama here a while back for whom it wasn't hurting at the time and later said that she started having problems with pain weeks later. So it may be worth nipping it in the bud to avoid problems down the road.

Congrats on your twins!

They may just need time for their mouths to get bigger. The lipstick nipple and blanching will go away when that happens. But as long as your are not in pain and they're getting enough wet and poopy diapers and gaining the right amount of weight, you're doing great!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; November 14th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.