Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I pump to increase supply???

Question When do I pump to increase supply???

I am trying desperately to increase my supply for my twins (born 6 weeks early, 11 weeks 1 day today)so I can ditch the supplemental formula and EBM bottles and have an abundance of milk at the breast and satisfy them.

Here's what happened today...I nursed the boys at 5:30am, they stopped at 7:00am, I pumped at 7:20am, gave them that EBM at 8:00am per their request (my breasts not full enough for them), pumped again at 9:20am and one of the twins woke at 10:00am and wouldn't take my breast because it wasn't full enough so had to give him EBM!

So, when do I pump to increase my supply without interfearing with their nursing? Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Default Re: When do I pump to increase supply???

It sounds like maybe they're showing a preference for the bottle because it's easier? Are you using the slowest flow nipple you can find?

Even if your breasts don't feel "full" there is still milk in them. If you can get them to latch on when they are less full that works the best for increasing your supply (much better than pumping). If they really just refuse to latch unless you are really full, you can try feeding them just a small amount from the bottle to take the "edge" off, then try putting them back to the breast instead of finishing with the bottle.

I didn't even think of

OOps! I didn't even think of the nipple type. Do you have any recommendations on a slow flow nipple? It's impossible for me to get out of the house these days.

I'm not sure what brands are best, but definitely use one that's rated for newborns, those are the slowest.

The other thing you can try is getting a supplemental nursing system, so that you're supplementing at the breast rather than giving a bottle. They can be a little finicky to get working, but if you can figure it out, it means your breasts are getting some of the signals to produce even when your babies are being given expressed milk or formula.