Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cutting down formula at night

Default cutting down formula at night

Hello, nice to meet you all I am brand new.
    I have struggled hard to get to the point that I am now, which is nursing all day my 2 month old (every 1-2.5 hours depending on his apetite), but at night because he is often fussy I tend to give him twice, at 9pm and 12pm ,100ml of supplement each time so he and we can sleep for about 4-5 hours. However I would love to be able to stop the formula, and although lots of mums do not nurse this sort of age infants during the night, mine most of the times cries and wants my breast every hour(once i tried, and never again).Would very much appreciate any advice please. Thanks a lot

Default Re: cutting down formula at night

Actually I think you'll find that lots of moms here nurse their infants frequently through the night. My DD is almost 5 months and still eating every 2-3 hours or more at night. You could probably jsut stop the formula and nurse instead. Of course you would end up nursing more than you would give a bottle. But that is because formula is more difficult for babies to digest. Breastmilk is so easily digested they are hungry sooner. But thats ok, it's what their little tummies need.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjgj.28 View Post
    Actually I think you'll find that lots of moms here nurse their infants frequently through the night. My DD is almost 5 months and still eating every 2-3 hours or more at night. You could probably jsut stop the formula and nurse instead. Of course you would end up nursing more than you would give a bottle. But that is because formula is more difficult for babies to digest. Breastmilk is so easily digested they are hungry sooner. But thats ok, it's what their little tummies need.
    Precisely. Many- if not most- 2 month olds are still feeding extremely frequently at night. I think it's only imaginary babies who sleep through the night that young.

If you want to ditch the formula, just do it. Do you co-sleep with your baby? That's a life-saver for many moms. If you can master the side-lying nursing position, you may be able to sleep (or at least doze) while nursing.

I recommend reading Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution. It really explains infant sleep and it's written with the breastfeeding mom in mind. One thing to note is that Pantley doesn't recommend interfering in any way with the baby's sleep patterns until the baby is around 4 months old- but read this book now and you'll be ready to make some changes when your baby is ready.

Hang in there! Not sleeping through the night is one of the most challenging parts of being a mommy. But you can do it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pps. Here is a great link about weaning from formula supplements.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjgj.28 View Post

My baby is 12 months old and is currently nursing every 3 hours at night. Some of it's for comfort - but she is really hungry and nurses best at night because she's so busy during the day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months