Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ped's guidelines for introducing solids

Angry ped's guidelines for introducing solids

today we went to the ped for 6 mos check.
    she has been pushing solids since DS was 4 mos but I gave him his first try of apple just yesterday.
    she asked how was he doing solidwise and I said ''fne,we tried apple!'' and she gave us this paper with the new menu for DS.
    it is made of:vegetal stock made with potatoes carrots and zucchini,two spoons of rice cereal or corn,or tapioca flour(?),2 spoons of grated cheese and 2 spoons of baby food containing meet.
    this is absolutely crazy,in my opinion,and will never give that to my poor LO.we are going the BLS way
    I'm just wondering how many moms follow that diet and how are their LOs.
    but the thing that upset me most was when she said that we had to give him this food at midday IN PLACE of BM

that was too much!
    I just kept nodding...yes yes ok...
    OMG she's the only ped in my district!!!

Default Re: ped's guidelines for introducing solids

That is VERY odd advice. I would trust your instinct and not follow that menu. What if your child had an allergy to one or more of the ingredients in that recipe that she gave you? You would have no idea what was the culprit! I would suggest going with baby led solids like you had intended to. It works out great for many babies. Be sure to introduce one thing at a time so that you will be able to know what your son is allergic to if he has a reaction.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    That is VERY odd advice. I would trust your instinct and not follow that menu.
    Goes to show that there's a huge diversity of opinion on infant feeding. You're in Italy, right? In the US, you'd never get that advice.

You're on the right track to just nod and smile. Maybe someday you can tell your doc that you didn't follow a word of her advice on solids, but why provoke a fight now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yep!I know that other doctors here give tis strange recipe for LOs.the wierdest thing that they say is you can start this at 4 1/2 mos!
    meat at 4 mos looks like a bit too much!
    just my homeopatic doc told me to do one food at a time
    Last edited by @llli*elimaka; November 11th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

dr sears has some great info on solids and toddlers.

you might like this link

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr01p64solids.html

Hey i'm in canada and my Ped's told me that my LO didn't need anything but BM till 6 months... at 6 months start with a rice ceral mixed with BM wait 3 to 5 days to make sure there's no reaction then introduce 1. Vegetables, 2. fruit, 3.meats & aletrnatives waiting 3 to 5 days between each item given to make sure there was no reaction.
    My Lactation consultant said nothing except BM till 6 months of age and then my Lo can eat whatever i eat.... and said not to worry about seperatingthings or spices...so it really varies depending on who you talk to... I 'm gonna go with my Ped's advice personally then once my LO has tried everything successfully then mix & match things and introducing spices etc.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elimaka View Post
    she has been pushing solids since DS was 4 mos but I gave him his first try of apple just yesterday.
    she asked how was he doing solidwise and I said ''fne,we tried apple!'' and she gave us this paper with the new menu for DS.
    it is made of:vegetal stock made with potatoes carrots and zucchini,two spoons of rice cereal or corn,or tapioca flour(?),2 spoons of grated cheese and 2 spoons of baby food containing meet.

Does she think your feeding a chimp? WTH?! That sounds like a diet given to animals at the zoo.
    Your poor LO. Definitely follow your instinct and your baby's cues, mama I wish you had more choices of pedis.
    mama
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    Does she think your feeding a chimp? WTH?! That sounds like a diet given to animals at the zoo.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manddbp View Post
    Hey i'm in canada and my Ped's told me that my LO didn't need anything but BM till 6 months... at 6 months start with a rice ceral mixed with BM wait 3 to 5 days to make sure there's no reaction then introduce
    I agree on waiting til at least 6 months or LONGER, some babies are not ready until 8 or 9 and that is A OK! Mine is still not eating very much and is extremely healthy. I would advise against rice cereal, first foods should include fat and protein as these are the foods a baby has the ability to digest properly.

Check out the Weston A. Price foundation website... its mainly about eating the way people did a century ago before everyone was "westernized".
    Here is an article about nourishing a baby:

Remember, the amount of breast milk and/or formula decreases when solid foods are introduced. This decrease may open the door for insufficiencies in a number of nutrients critical for baby's normal growth and development. The nutrients that are often in short supply when weaning begins include protein, zinc, iron and B-vitamins. One food group that has these nutrients in ample amounts is meat.

Unfortunately, cereal is the most often recommended early weaning food. A recent Swedish study suggests that when infants are given substantial amounts of cereal, they may suffer from low concentrations of zinc and reduced calcium absorption.

In the US, Dr. Nancy Krebs headed up a large infant growth study that found breastfed infants who received puréed or strained meat as a primary weaning food beginning at four to five months grew at a slightly faster rate. Kreb's study suggests that inadequate protein or zinc from common first foods may limit the growth of some breastfed infants during the weaning period. More importantly, both protein and zinc levels were consistently higher in the diets of the infants who received meat. Thus, the custom of providing large amounts of cereals and excluding meats before seven months of age may short-change the nutritional requirements of the infant.
    Hope that helps!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elimaka View Post
    this is absolutely crazy,in my opinion,and will never give that to my poor LO.we are going the BLS way
    I'm just wondering how many moms follow that diet and how are their LOs.
    but the thing that upset me most was when she said that we had to give him this food at midday IN PLACE of BM

that was too much!
    I just kept nodding...yes yes ok...
    OMG she's the only ped in my district!!!
    I ignore most of what doctors say these days. Mine was pushing cereal and baby food at 3 months and I was like um no. He near had a heart attack when I told him no solids until hes a year oh and the co sleeping thing he told me he would be safer if I put him in a dresser drawer (Im not kidding) Now at first I thought while its still in the dresser but of course he meant take it out I just laughed at him and left. (We are military so changing docs is not really an option so we just ignore them.)
    Married to my David since 6/17/06
    Happily , and with our little Andrew born 6/8/09. Also enjoying raising our Hope Anne born 1/15/00 and Michael 7/15/01.