Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start pumping?

Default When to start pumping?

I'm expecting baby #2 very soon. I'm wondering if I should start pumping while still in the hospital or just wait until I get home.

When I had DS my milk never really "came in". I had to pump after he nursed (plus some) and relied on Reglan and Domperidone to keep any milk supply at all. He also had tongue tie, which obviously didn't help my supply. We worked with a IBCLC but not until DS was 7 days old, so I don't know what they would have told me to do right from the start. Any advice?

Obviously, if this baby doesn't have tongue tie and nurses without any problem, I won't worry about pumping so much. I'm just trying to be proactive since I felt like I was playing catch up last time.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Default Re: When to start pumping?

I would not pump until about two weeks before returning to work. A baby's suction is much stronger than even the most expensive pump. You may diminish your supply by pumping rather than letting the baby do the work.

I agree. I would wait until baby comes to see what happens. Every experience/baby is so different - you may find you don't need to pump at all
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Can you line up a lactation consultant to see you asap after the birth to make sure everything is going ok?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oldmom View Post
    I would not pump until about two weeks before returning to work. A baby's suction is much stronger than even the most expensive pump. You may diminish your supply by pumping rather than letting the baby do the work.
    This would be pumping in addition to nursing. In a baby with tongue tie, the suck is not effective, so not pumping at all isn't an option. Believe me, I would not have pumped if I didn't have to last time. I do not enjoy pumping. I would much rather nurse.

I'm assuming that this baby will also have tongue tie, since DS, myself and my mother were all tongue tied.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    I agree. I would wait until baby comes to see what happens. Every experience/baby is so different - you may find you don't need to pump at all
    That would be wonderful! I hope this experience is a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can you line up a lactation consultant to see you asap after the birth to make sure everything is going ok?
    Yes, I can. I still occasionally talk to the LC that I used with DS and the hospital I'm delivering in also has a few IBCLC.

I guess my real question is if pumping early will help milk supply come in faster or more robustly?
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.