Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping with a 10 month old-Need Help!

Default Pumping with a 10 month old-Need Help!

Hi Ladies, I am new here!

I need some advice. I work full time and pump 2x a day with my Lansinoh double. I was getting 11 oz a day then went down to 8oz to 6oz now 2oz at 10 mos. I am on More Milk Plus but it doesn’t seem to be working much and I am taking double the dose. I have been using my frozen milk to make up for the loss but I am getting so frustrated and am ready to quit pumping. Can anyone help me? I am desperate! I really don’t want to put her on formula. I plan on breastfeeding until she is 2 or 3 in the evenings and on weekends (basically anytime i am with her) but if I stop pumping at work will that make me dry up totally? This is my first as im sure you guessed I only have 2 more months till she turns a year and I really wanted to make it with only EBM

Default Re: Pumping with a 10 month old-Need Help!

Welcome, and congratulations on 10 months of breastfeeding!

It's great that you're taking More Milk Plus. However, that alone is unlikely to give you the results you're looking for. Pumping more frequently during the work day and doing some pumping when you are home with your baby, however, will probably do wonders for your supply.

You should also get your pump checked out. After 10 months of frequent use, it may be showing some wear and need some replacement parts.

If the above suggestions don't work, you should:
    - Try using a better pump (think hospital-grade rental pump)
    - Try power pumping (Pump both sides for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump both sides for 10 minutes, rest for 10, and finally pump both sides for 10 minutes once more for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts supply during a growth spurt.)
    - Drugs. As a last resort, Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada and UK) are prescription drugs which can boost supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for every mom, so speak to your midwife or doctor before taking either one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mcbabymomma View Post
    I plan on breastfeeding until she is 2 or 3 in the evenings and on weekends (basically anytime i am with her) but if I stop pumping at work will that make me dry up totally?
    No, you won't dry up totally. Your body has a terrific internal clock, and will learn to make milk when it is required, and much, much less when it is not. You may be able to continue nursing part-time for many years, even if you quit pumping during the day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal had some great points.

Have you checked all of your parts? I actually needed to go down a size in the horns around 10 months... and try to pump every two hours for about a week or so at work and see if that helps. Do you pump on weekends? Could you pump at the same time as your first pumping at work? That will also help.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    No, you won't dry up totally. Your body has a terrific internal clock, and will learn to make milk when it is required, and much, much less when it is not. You may be able to continue nursing part-time for many years, even if you quit pumping during the day.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you!
    Great idea about the power pumping, I have never heard of that so I will try it! How long do you suggest doing that? A few days? A week?
    Thank you again for all the suggestions! Im so glad I found this site, I feel better already!
    I am sooooo glad to hear I wont dry up, that takes a big worry off of me

I think I do need to change sizes but on the LDE they dont sell other sizes
    My boss wont let me take breaks that aften but good idea about pumping on the weekends.....I will need to try that. Thank you!