Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to wake baby every 2-3 to feed her??

Question Need to wake baby every 2-3 to feed her??

My baby girl is one month old, and during the day will wake up pretty regularly every 2 1/2 - 3 hours to breastfeed. During the late evening and night hours, do I still need to be waking her up to feed her??... because lately she's been sleeping on her own about 5 hours during the night.

Default Re: Need to wake baby every 2-3 to feed her??

My doctor told us we only need to wake the baby when they are newborn - until they regain their birthweight. After that, they should be okay to wake on their own to eat. My one month old slept her longest stretch the other day (5 1/2 hours) and I couldn't wait until she woke up - my boobs were killing me!

Really? I didn't know that, glad I asked! During the day she'll wake up like clockwork every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but I never know what I'll get during the night! Well then I'm going to pray that she sleeps for 6 hours tonight! And YES I'm actually waiting for her to wake up right now...it's been 3 hours and my boobs are killing me as we speak!

It helps to think about babies needing about 8-12 feeds over a 24 hour period, rather than needing to be fed every X hours.

This link will tell you how to know enough milk is going in

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I don't think that sleeping for 5 hours straight is what you would call typical of a month old baby, but if she is getting enough milk, then there is nothing wrong with it. Enjoy the sleep!

Don't worry about dd sleeping for longer stretchs at night. Both my first ds and dd who were both bf would sleep anywhere from 8 to 12 hrs at night before they were even a month old. Mind you they made up for the lost feedings in the morning. I found I would nurse every 2 to 2 and a half hours during the day. I did though get a full nights sleep. My newest ds sleeps almost through the night, he's sleeping 6 hrs now. I say go with what the baby is saying. If they want to sleep let them sleep especially if it means you get more sleep. I always say never wake a sleeping baby unless you really have to.

Quote Originally Posted by jnugget
    Really? I didn't know that, glad I asked! During the day she'll wake up like clockwork every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but I never know what I'll get during the night! Well then I'm going to pray that she sleeps for 6 hours tonight! And YES I'm actually waiting for her to wake up right now...it's been 3 hours and my boobs are killing me as we speak!
    You can pump a little to relieve the engorgment.