Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant hunger cues?

Default Infant hunger cues?

I've been nursing my 6.5 month old about every 2 hours for months now. She wakes up every 2 hours to nurse at night, too. I'm wondering if she's waking up so often b/c that's when she's used to eating or if she needs to. So, I think I'd like to try nursing less often during the day to try to get her used to it so maybe she'll nurse less at night. Does this make sense to try? How can I tell when she's hungry and needs to nurse during the day or at night? I feel silly asking this, b/c I should know her hunger cues by now, right?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Default Re: Infant hunger cues?

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing! DD is almost 8 months now. I got into the habit of just offering every 2 hours because I didn't know when she wanted to eat. So, I started to really pay attention to DD and it seemed like her cues to eat where rubbing her eyes and just getting cranky. I made an effort to wait for her to want to eat before feeding her. Turns out, she likes to eat every 3 hrs and before she takes a nap!

Don't feel silly! You're doing a great job! Hang in there.

If you feed less during the day she will make up for it at night. My dd crys in her sleep sometimes. Maybe she just needs to comfort suckle. Will she take a paci?

Regards,

Sara

I wouldn't limit her feeds during the day -- I think you will get a hungrier baby at night, and might compromise your milk supply.

It is exhausting to cope with such frequent night wakings for months on end -- I really do feel your pain and have BTDT with my own son. One good book I used when he was around 9 months (when the sleep stuff often gets even worse, believe it or not) was _The No-Cry Sleep Solution_ by Elizabeth Pantley. It does happen that babies associate nursing with sleeping, such that they literally don't know how to fall asleep -- or back to sleep after normal rousings -- without the breast. It is possible to gently reshape their sleep associations so that they learn to settle back down without nursing. Get the book if you can.

I don't recommend a strict complete night-weaning at 6 months -- I think babies that young still need nutrition through the night hours -- but at least in my own experience, waking once or twice a night to nurse was immensely better than every two hours (or even more frequently). Good luck!

--Rebecca