Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help with weaning my 13 month old

Default Looking for help with weaning my 13 month old

I have searched and searched the forums, but really, everyone has different circumstances from mine. My little guy is 13 months old. He has never taken a bottle or paci and just recently started to use a sippy cup with whole milk during the day. He does not nurse or really even try to during the day but night time is another story. We cosleep and he is up every hour to comfort nurse during the night. I have tried to give him a paci, but he won't have it. He screams and screams. I need to wean him for medical reasons.
    I just don't know what to do. It is so heartbreaking. I hate to see him in such distress.
    My Dr asked me to start my medication in 1 week from yesterday. So last night was the first night I really tried to just hold him and sing to him when he awoke to eat. He screamed for what seemed like forever. Eventually I gave in and nursed him in the middle of the night once and then again very early in the morning. This is a big change from every hour, but he did fight even that with all he had. I want to do this as gently as possible, but also as quickly... any advice would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my little guy

Default Re: Looking for help with weaning my 13 month old

what meds are you taking? some are safe with an older child.

Has your doctor checked with Dr. Thomas Hale to verify that your medication is truly incompatible with nursing a child - particularly one over a year? There is an excellent book by Dr Hale called Medications and Mothers' Milk. There are very few meds that are truly incompatible with BF. Many many many doctors give a blanket recommendation to wean, especially with an older nursling.

it's doxycycline hyclate and it's for long term use... I am trying to treat some very large and painful cysts that are on my face. I am looking on Dr. Hale's website right now... basically what I am finding is that it is ok for short term use, like up to 3 weeks but beyond that is not recommended. My Dr is planning for me to be on this rx for a minimum of 3 months.

I have put off treating this for a few months, but it is getting worse and I really do need to get it taken care of. The pain and scarring is getting out of control.

good youve looked it up..
    How many times would you say that you child is nursing in 24 hours?
    start to wean with the feads that the child is less attached to.
    wean slowly with love.
    lots of info here

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...echniques.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    good youve looked it up..
    How many times would you say that you child is nursing in 24 hours?
    start to wean with the feads that the child is less attached to.
    wean slowly with love.
    lots of info here

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...echniques.html
    Well, he really only nurses while he sleeps... so between the hours of 8pm to 6am, he probably nurses like 5 to 8 times (he wakes very frequently). Last night, I first tried to cut them back and nursed him three times if you count when I put him to bed. I guess I will try the same thing tonight and see how it goes. I at least am comforted to know that I can start the meds when I am supposed to it he isn't fullly weaned yet and still have a week or two to get him completely weaned. Ideally though, I would rather not have him nursing when I am taking the meds at all.

Thanks for the link, I will head over there and take a look

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp This is the mthod I used with success. It was relatively gentle. Good luck! Let us know how things are going.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristysmith View Post
    it's doxycycline hyclate and it's for long term use... I am trying to treat some very large and painful cysts that are on my face. I am looking on Dr. Hale's website right now... basically what I am finding is that it is ok for short term use, like up to 3 weeks but beyond that is not recommended. My Dr is planning for me to be on this rx for a minimum of 3 months.

I have put off treating this for a few months, but it is getting worse and I really do need to get it taken care of. The pain and scarring is getting out of control.
    Have you discussed the option of using another medication?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp This is the mthod I used with success. It was relatively gentle. Good luck! Let us know how things are going.
    Thanks for the link! I have heard good things about this method! I will give it a read today
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Have you discussed the option of using another medication?
    Yes, and I have tried other treatments, but nothing has helped.

Just an update... Levi ended up getting a bad case of croup the night before last, and is still quite sick, so I have put the weaning on hold until he is better. This gives me some time to get him ready for it as well. My face can wait.
    Thanks to everyone for the replies It's so hard sometimes for me, I have no support system for nursing... my own mother even tried to talk me out of doing it! So when i have questions or need help, I never really know where to go. It's so reassuring to know that there are people here who have been through it and can help to guide me!!