Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have thrush - should I wean now?

Default Have thrush - should I wean now?

My 18 month old has thrush and is not able to nurse due to the pain. (He has the flu and is on a strong antibiotic for a cold.) We just got medicine for the thrush today. He's missed 3 nursing sessions now. He normally nurses 3-4 times a day.

I'm struggling with trying to decide if I should take this opportunity to wean him. I had decided to wean him slowly by the end of the year. But, I keep thinking that since he's already made it almost 24 hours, that I should just wean him now. However, I never wanted to wean him cold turkey.

Would it be better to start nursing him again just to stop in a month or so? Should I start nursing him again, but go ahead and drop a session in preparation to wean? I'm not sure what to do. He currently nurses in the morning, at nap time, and at bedtime.

I know it would be best to let him wean on his own, but we are thinking about trying for another child soon, so I want to have him weaned before I get pregnant again.

Thanks!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: Have thrush - should I wean now?

I think you should play it by ear. If it seems like the opportunity is there and you are ready, then go for it. If it seems like he's not ready, then be ready to keep going a bit. The important thing is to do it with love.

Well, we laid down to go to sleep and he signed for milk. I explained to him that we couldn't, and he didn't ask again. He didn't cry a bit. I did. I think we're weaning.

Thats how weaning starts for many - why did you refuse him though? Take it slowly... see where it goes. But if you want to continue, there are treatments available -are you doing anything for him?

But what I want to know is why is on an antibiotic for a cold????
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I refused him because he'd only had 1 dose of treatment for the thrush and he still couldn't latch on. Rather than infect myself by letting him try, I just told him no.

He'd had the "gunk" as my doctor called it, and had been on an antibiotic for over a week. It didn't get any better, so his doctor prescribed a stronger antibiotic for him.

This morning was difficult. Morning is his favorite nursing session. He signed to nurse a few times and then brought the nursing pillow over to me. I may have to go ahead and nurse him just in the mornings for a while.

Here's a thought: Do you think that you would regret weaning him during cold and flu season? Especially if he is so sick - he may really benefit from even a couple of bf sessions a day. I've contemplated weaning my 17 mo. old - especially because she sleeps through the night and only nurses 3 times a day. But recently, she was really sick - and wouldn't eat or drink - only nursed and I was grateful that she hadn't weaned. Just my 2 cents.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

He's well (and I have the flu now), so I was able to nurse him through his sickness. But I did decide to go ahead and nurse him this morning. I just couldn't live with myself if I made him stop cold turkey.

I'm sorry that you have the flu. I'm glad to hear your lo is feeling better. I hope that if he is ready to wean he will do so for you with little fuss! Hope you feel better!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

You could talk to your dr about going ahead and starting a topical OTC cream for yourself to help prevent spreading the thrush back and forth. Sounds like you are listening to your LOs needs and that's the important thing.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I have some topical cream left over from when we had thrush before, so I've been using it. So far so good!