Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

Default 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

Hi All,
    My 6.5 month old son cannot tolerate solids. We end up with colic x 10 screaming for 72 hours or so everytime he needs to poop or pass gas. It is sad and pitiful. Even more heartbreaking for me is that he so badly wants to eat.

Does anyone else have a little one who can't tolerate solids yet? I'm feeling so alone in this struggle and am feeling the comments/looks now too. It doesn't help that he's in the 3rd percentile for weight and 70th for height so he looks skinny too.

Anyways, just looking for support and other moms dealing with similar issues.

Thanks!

Default Re: 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

What solids have you tried your baby on? Maybe he's having a reaction to something in them?

If you feel he can't handle solids yet, nurse as often as you can and give him something to play with at mealtimes. A spoon and a bowl to play with may keep him entertained enough that he won't be desperate to get at your food.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yup tell us what you have tried, How often is baby nursing in 24 hours?

We've tried Beechnut & Earth's Best Organic - pears, squash, apples, and carrots. All are benign foods, and the pediatrician agrees that his gut doesn't seem to be ready either.

As for nursing, he eats every 1.5-3 hours during the day. I feed on demand plus he has reflux so he sometimes needs a quick washdown. During the night, he puts in a total of 12 hours rest and wakes to feed about 3-4 times - at 5 hours, then 3 hours, then 2 hours, then 1 hour. He's always had tummy issues, could not tolerate the rotavirus vaccine, and as mentioned has severe reflux.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone else is dealing with something similar. At this point, we're waiting until 8 months to introduce solids again. Before he was born, my instincts told me that I would be EBF'ing until 8 months or longer. However, I've only talked to 1 other mother who is EBF'ing beyond 6 months so I'm feeling the "stares" if you will.

Who's criticizing you for nursing your child? What makes you think they would stop if your baby was eating solids.

My daughter is 12 months old and doesn't eat a lot of solids. She nursed on demand around the clock. I don't see a problem with it. I offer the solids, if she doesn't want them, she doesn't eat them. I offer to nurse, if she doesn't want to nurse, she won't nurse for longer than a minute.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

my 7 month old DD dosent care much for solids either. That includes processed baby food, home made baby food and what we are eating. She just dosent care for it so I dont force the issue.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

We didn't wait to introduce solids- DD has an iron tummy, thank G-d, so there was no reason to wait- but she didn't care for solids at all and was pretty much exclusively breastfed until at least a year old, and probably closer to 14-15 months. So you're definitely not the only one with a baby who isn't eating solid food.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is very common for babies with reflux to have difficulty tolerating solids. They also seem to be more likely to have food sensitivities.

My son barely ate any solid foods until he was 2 years old, and he is none the worse for it, even though that was coupled with a lot of other health issues. My advice is to keep breastfeeding on demand, and know that every child has individual needs. Keep in contact with your child's physician to be sure that your little one's reflux is being appropriately treated, that you are familiar with how to determine food intolerance, and to keep an eye on your little one's overall health. Kids with reflux also sometimes for awhile doing really well, and then go through a rough patch -- sometimes for obvious reasons, sometimes for reasons that remain mysterious. Follow you instincts and your little one's cues.

And as far as being alone, you can be pretty well assured that whatever you go through in parenting, you are not alone!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Following your lo's cues is great advice.

I also EBF my ds until he was about 7 months for a list of reasons a mile long. And now (he's 9 months), I offer him a couple different types of food each day, some solid, some pureed, and he's just starting to get "into" eating. For the first month or so, he just wasn't interested. So we nursed and nursed, and he's still a big, healthy boy even though he's still eating minimally compared to some other kids his age.

I would also suggest nursing as much as possible so he's getting the nutrients and calories he needs, but don't worry about the solids part just yet. 6 months isn't a must when beginning, it's actually just the minimum age for beginning (although some mama's choose to introduce earlier). Some babies are EBF until a year or more, and are perfectly healthy. Don't rush it! He'll have the rest of his life to eat solids.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Who's criticizing you for nursing your child? What makes you think they would stop if your baby was eating solids.

My daughter is 12 months old and doesn't eat a lot of solids. She nursed on demand around the clock. I don't see a problem with it. I offer the solids, if she doesn't want them, she doesn't eat them. I offer to nurse, if she doesn't want to nurse, she won't nurse for longer than a minute.
    No one is criticizing, but it's a complete lack of understanding and/or belief that he cannot tolerate solids. Breastfeeding, by comparison to the rest of the US, is about half, and mothers also seem to introduce solids sooner and frequently supplement with formula. Needless to say, I'm a rarity as a EBF mother so few people seem to believe or understand that my DS truly doesn't tolerate solids, which makes for frustrating conversations.

I have always and will continue to nurse on demand. I also comfort nurse too. I have no problems with EBF'ing until 8 months or beyond. It's just a lonely place to be when people don't understand.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy