Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

Default Re: 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    We didn't wait to introduce solids- DD has an iron tummy, thank G-d, so there was no reason to wait- but she didn't care for solids at all and was pretty much exclusively breastfed until at least a year old, and probably closer to 14-15 months. So you're definitely not the only one with a baby who isn't eating solid food.
    Lucky you to have a DD with an iron stomach!

Thanks for the encouragement! It's always good to hear of someone who mostly or entirely EBF'ed beyond 6,8, even 12 months. I feel very confident that my breastmilk is giving DS all he needs.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy

Default Re: 6.5 Months & Can't Tolerate Solids

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    It is very common for babies with reflux to have difficulty tolerating solids. They also seem to be more likely to have food sensitivities.

My son barely ate any solid foods until he was 2 years old, and he is none the worse for it, even though that was coupled with a lot of other health issues. My advice is to keep breastfeeding on demand, and know that every child has individual needs. Keep in contact with your child's physician to be sure that your little one's reflux is being appropriately treated, that you are familiar with how to determine food intolerance, and to keep an eye on your little one's overall health. Kids with reflux also sometimes for awhile doing really well, and then go through a rough patch -- sometimes for obvious reasons, sometimes for reasons that remain mysterious. Follow you instincts and your little one's cues.

And as far as being alone, you can be pretty well assured that whatever you go through in parenting, you are not alone!
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I knew reflux babies could have difficulties with solids, but I never realized that he'd have such severe reactions to it. It's very heartbreaking to hear his screams and only be able to cuddle and hold him. Obviously, as a mother to a NICU baby, you understand the feelings of powerlessness at times.

He is also undoubtedly sensitive to certain foods in my diet as well so I will most definitely be keeping an eye on solid introduction for other reasons too.

Thank you again.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy