Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions re. BLS

Default questions re. BLS

Ok...so my DH is totally against BLS, but my DS won't eat anything from a spoon at all! He's only 6.5 months so it's not like it's vital that he eat solids. Anyway, today I was eating an apple and I gave him a slice to play with (I took the skin off). He loved it! After an initial face that looked like "WTH?!?!" He scraped off bits of it with his bottom 2 teeth and swallowed it and everything. So, now I'm wondering how to start off with BLS (I'll talk my DH into it - I'm the one feeding him anyway!) Now...how do you cut up an avocado for a baby? (I've never even bought one to know if it's ripe or not). How do you cook a sweet potato for him to eat etc... (I'll start off by saying I'm not much of a cook...I'm still learning...and I've never bought a sweet potato either - I know...pathetic!) What other foods can I try? Is an apple really an ok thing for him to gnaw on?
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: questions re. BLS

Welcome to the BLS club!

It's great that your baby already seems ready to convey food to his own mouth and inspired to eat it. But I wouldn't start with an apple. It's a little too easy to break off a large chunk of an apple slice and that could be a choking hazard.

Personally, I think you should aim to start with small pieces of soft foods. Pea-sized generally seems to be considered safe. So, how about some soft squashed peas? Or pea-sized bits of potato (you can do white or sweet). Or shreds of chicken from a soup. Or steamed/boiled diced-up carrots. You get the picture!

Avocados are generally ripe when they feel just slightly yielding under the skin. Don't worry if the avocado is brown in spots when you open it up- that's just oxidation (like on a banana).

Cooking a sweet potato is easy. You can bake it in the oven or microwave- when it feels soft to the touch, it's ready. Just removed the outer skin and serve.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Apple & pear slices (without skins) were early faves here, too. I would make long skinny wedges, about 1/16 of the fruit, and give them to DS to gnaw on. (FYI, about 1yo we started leaving the skin on, because our doc said that we could.)

We went back and forth with "french fry shaped" (long/skinny) and "chunky bite-sized" pieces of food. Sometimes DS liked one better, sometimes the other - when he was teething, he liked to be able to rub longer things on his gums, and when he was really hungry he liked bites.

Avocado has a lot of nutrients, and could either be in long wedges or bites. I mostly did bites, because for that wedges tended to turn into goo before he got to the end of them (squished in his hand). But I would mostly stick to what you have around anyway, since your LO will end up eating a small percentage of whatever food you prepare so it's nice to have the rest end up in your stomach (or your DH's).

We started 1-2 foods per week, to be careful with allergies, etc. I don't remember the order, but here are the things we did early on:
    • Apples (wedges & bites)
    • Pears (wedges & bites)
    • Avocados (mostly bites)
    • Cantaloupe (mostly bites)
    • Honeydew (mostly bites)
    • Peach (mostly bites)
    • Grapes (cut in half, so that they weren't a choking hazard)
    • Broccoli (mostly bites, either raw or steamed)
    • Cauliflower (mostly bites, either raw or steamed)
    • Zucchini (mostly "french fries", either raw or steamed)
    • Carrots ("french fries" or bites, steamed)
    • Sweet potato ("french fries", steamed)
    • Peas (frozen)
    • Puffed corn (whole grain, no sweeteners added)
    • Brown rice cakes (1/4-cakes at a time, until the day he realized we were holding out on him and wanted a full cake)
    • Garbanzos (chickpeas - cooked of course)
    • Black beans (cooked of course)
    • Tofu (bites)
    By the time DS was 10mo, I was just giving him pieces of whatever I was cooking anyway. Veggies can be steamed, either on the stove or in the microwave (I would microwave it if I was just steaming a little for DS), but raw actually has more nutrients (and is better for teething!) so if he likes to chew you can go that route too.

- and remember, even though feeding a kid is work (nursing is so much easier) BLS is MUCH easier than having to puree everything!!

ETA: I never used regular bananas because of the mess factor, but frozen banana wedges (1/4" circles cut into quarters) were AWESOME for teething.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; November 13th, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks mommal! I thought about the breaking off of the apple after he started to scrape it with his teeth...I really wasn't expecting him to eat it! I was watching him like a hawk to make sure it didn't break off...but I won't give him that now. So, the pea sized is the best? I've read on other threads about steak fry sized pieces etc...or is that for if he is older? I'm going to have to start practicing with cooking/steaming veggies...I eat everything raw...I like the crunchiness!

ETA: Just saw your post imma...it's good to hear that some have started with apples...my ds loved it. thanks so much for the list!!!
    Last edited by @llli*nursingmom; November 12th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

We started with avocado! Nom. We let him do half slices, but it was kinda hard sometimes because it would be gooey and hard for his little fingers to figure out. Once he figured out what it was, he was all for it, but it was kinda messy... and that green stays!

You'll get the hang of telling when they're ripe pretty quick-they're pretty hard and fibrous before they ripen. I assume you've never cut one open, so here's what my husband taught me You can just take a big knife and cut into it lengthwise until you feel the pit. Once you feel the pit, you can kind of rotate the avocado on the knife so you've cut all the way around long-wise. Then you can twist it and pull it apart. The pit will stay in one half (and if you keep it in there, it will stay fresher longer). Does that make sense?

If we were out and feeding our son, we'd leave the meat in the half shell and give him piece by piece cut out on a spoon. At home, we just slice it in the shell, spoon out each slice, and cut it in half. Pretty easy. Instant baby food, with a handy container!

We did bananas early too for the same reason-handy for the road! But, avocados were really our staple-that and zucchini.

Imma's list is awesome!
    I'm Sarah,
    still a , dairy free due to baby's allergy, , cloth , Momma to...
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)
    while *still* trying to finish my dissertation!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingmom View Post
    I'm going to have to start practicing with cooking/steaming veggies...I eat everything raw...I like the crunchiness!
    A lot of things work raw, and DS still prefers a lot of his veggies raw (as do I) - I'd do both, to get your LO used to raw veggies too.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I'm starting here as well, and I've never been a great cook but I have learned to love my crockpot. We just did sweet potatoes in the crockpot. I *did* cook them with pork, I know a lot of people here might not like that - but my daughter definitely loved it. Also have done steamed carrots in my rice cooker on top of my evening rice (in the steamer basket). I can't seem to make avocado stay in any shaped pieces, so I either gave it to her in a spoon (which she takes from me to feed herself) or in one of those mesh bags. Can't wait to try fruit pieces!!

I talked to DH last night about BLS. Since he's been against it I started it with..."you might be upset about this but..." Well, he was so thrilled that my sentence didn't end in spending money (I've bought a few carriers recently ) that he was totally ok with going forward with BLS!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingmom View Post
    I talked to DH last night about BLS. Since he's been against it I started it with..."you might be upset about this but..." Well, he was so thrilled that my sentence didn't end in spending money (I've bought a few carriers recently ) that he was totally ok with going forward with BLS!

It's true, though - BLS are easier AND cheaper.