Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven Milk Production

Red face Uneven Milk Production

My daughter is nine months old. My milk flow has always been fine, but lately my right side has almost completely dried up, milk only flows during letdown, not before or after. And it's nearly impossible to pump. The left side is fine, though (it's always been the dominant one). I'm always careful to switch sides that I start on, and the last three or four days I've been starting on the right more often to try to get it to start producing more milk again. I suspect that it could be the result of her nursing less and/or the fact that I've been on the pill for a few months now. It's not a huge problem because my left side seems to be able to make up for it, but I really don't like walking around all the time all lop-sided.

Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Uneven Milk Production

Hi there,
    You are already doing what you should if you want to increase production on one side: increase demand.

That said, it really isn't a problem, like you said, just a little cosmetically unsightly!

Some women do have breasts that produce different amounts. You are normal!

i've been told the same, that being lop-sided is normal. but a lactation consultant also said that after breastfeeding i would go back to what i was before. is that true?

Well, we're approaching dd's First Birthday, and we're still having this problem. It's a real source of frustration for both of us. But I don't want to completely ween her for a couple more months. Would there be any problem (other than cosmetic) with giving up on the right breast and just nurse her on the left one?

Lightbulb Re: Uneven Milk Production

I am also in the lopsided breasts clan! There are many of us!
    My husband's theory is that our little guy didn't like having his right arm pinned, so he only wanted to nurse on the right side. Well, I tried changing positions and starting on the smaller side for months. I tried to pump it more, etc. My left side still only makes about an once a day, and it is considerably smaller. What I learned from LLL is that when I'm pumping, I should still pump both sides and not just abandon the left, because double pumping gets more out of both sides. I think it increases prolactin levels (?) Anyway, it worked. My left side is hard to pump, because it is so small (I'm naturally an A cup), but I have to keep pumping it to make the right side give more milk. Plus the little bit from the left side tops off the collection containers!
    So, good luck! We'll be able to wear tight sweaters again someday!
    Amber

I started a similar new thread a few days ago. I'd like to give up on my right side too. My guess is that it produces about 1 oz per day. I keep going because I am not sure it is OK to stop. In the middle of the night, I sometimes offer my small breast as a way to encourage him to nurse less at 2am/4am/etc (he is 9 months now).

Its nice to know im not the only one! My left side produces less because in the beginning my DS nursed more on the right because the nipple was a little more out making latch on much easier... i wish i knew what i knew now because if i made just as much milk on the left as i do on the right id be in pumping heavan.. my right is so good at pumping.. why cant it be that way on both sides.. is there ANYYYYY way to make more milk??? especially on the left? or are my "increasing" days over??