Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! OS, OALD and VERY sore nips

Default Help! OS, OALD and VERY sore nips

My 24-day old DD and I were doing great until a few days ago. Now all of a sudden my breasts get super full a few hours after feeding her to the point that she cannot latch on and becomes very gassy and in pain after each feeding. She also often latches and then pulls of and tries to re-latch or re-position herself on the nip, and this also leads to crazy pain. Now my right nip is out of commission for a few hours because it is too painful to nurse from there. So what do I do to resolve the situation?

Some people say to block feed, but my baby is still so inconsistent with the amount of time she spends on each boob, so it is difficult to know when she has "finished" and when she is just goofing around. Still others say NOT to block feed because it could make the problem worse. Other people say that pumping for a few minutes is better while others say THIS could make the problem worse. So which one do I try? Which one can permanently relieve the situation? Will pumping cause more issues in the future with oversupply?

Default Re: Help! OS, OALD and VERY sore nips

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megry315 View Post
    My 24-day old DD and I were doing great until a few days ago. Now all of a sudden my breasts get super full a few hours after feeding her to the point that she cannot latch on and becomes very gassy and in pain after each feeding. She also often latches and then pulls of and tries to re-latch or re-position herself on the nip, and this also leads to crazy pain. Now my right nip is out of commission for a few hours because it is too painful to nurse from there. So what do I do to resolve the situation?

Some people say to block feed, but my baby is still so inconsistent with the amount of time she spends on each boob, so it is difficult to know when she has "finished" and when she is just goofing around. Still others say NOT to block feed because it could make the problem worse. Other people say that pumping for a few minutes is better while others say THIS could make the problem worse. So which one do I try? Which one can permanently relieve the situation? Will pumping cause more issues in the future with oversupply?
    So sorry mama. I know exactly what you're going through,BTDT. I, too, have OALD/OS. Blockfeeding really does help, but the way I do it is that I'll bf dd 2-3 times on one side before switching. I don't go by time between feedings because like you said, it's not consistant. If your other side not being "used" gets full try manually expressing until it feels soft and the lumps are out. This way you avoid getting plugged ducts. If you're storing EBM you can express into the pump opening so that it drips into the container, like a funnel. If you pump, it resembles baby's suckle because the nipple is being stimulated, therefore, it tells the body to make more...which you DON'T want to do. Manually expressing is more like a natural "leak"
    When you blockfeed it might take a little bit to see results and for the body to regulate its supply, but stick with it. I always have to blockfeed at least 2times on each side, because if not I'll be engorged on both sides just by having a let-down! Then, while I bf on one side (which is full) the other is already getting lumpy
    It'll get better!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Help! OS, OALD and VERY sore nips

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try all the things you discussed!