Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Clear blister on nipple

Default Ouch! Clear blister on nipple

Ladies, please HELP! Two days ago I was bfing dd in bed (on my right side) and when we woke up, I had a plugged duct on that side. Normally, I've gotten them above the nipple/breast, and/or on the outside part of the breast. This time, it was on the inner side of my breast (towards my chest) and right behind the nipple. I bf her on that side many times, hand expressed, all those things. Nothing!

The next day (yesterday) it was sore like the dickens, but still felt plugged right behind the nipple. I kept bfing her as much as I could/would on that side, so by night it was feeling really sore and would kind of throb.

Today, I noticed a little white dot that looked like lent. I've had one before and when I bf it went away. So, I bf dd still on my right and it's gone but now I noticed I had a little clear "blister". It hasn't bled or anything, but it almost looks like I'm "leaking", but it's clear and very sore It's located right on above a natural crack in my nipple (sorry, TMI) not one that I got from bfing or anything.

What is it? What do I do?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Ouch! Clear blister on nipple

It sounds like a "bleb" my lactation consultant said to keep it moist (olive oil on cotton ball or something) and it's caused by trauma to the nipple. They hurt! Take care.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yep, sounds like a bleb. I had one that came back twice before I finally drained out the fluid and peeled off the blister skin. It is safe to do as long as you are really clean about it. Good luck with it!

Definitely sounds like a milk bleb. This is a good link on treating them- except if you reach the point where you need to break the blister with a sterile needle, I personally feel that self-treatment beats having a doctor do it, as long as you're extremely careful to really sterilize the needle. You can feel when the needle has gone too far- the doc can only guess.

Hope you feel better soon! Oh, and watch your baby's latch- some moms are really prone to blisters when the latch gets sloppy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Definitely sounds like a milk bleb. This is a good link on treating them- except if you reach the point where you need to break the blister with a sterile needle, I personally feel that self-treatment beats having a doctor do it, as long as you're extremely careful to really sterilize the needle. You can feel when the needle has gone too far- the doc can only guess.

Hope you feel better soon! Oh, and watch your baby's latch- some moms are really prone to blisters when the latch gets sloppy.
    Thank you so much for that link. I'm hoping it'll heal itself, because just by reading about breaking the skin, draining it, etc is making me light-headed This is very painful.

It goes away when I'm not bfing dd, then pops out again after I do bf her. Is this what normally happens with these blebs?
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; November 6th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

!
    ive had a few of those with DD and they HURT!!! im so sorry! i hope you feel better soon. it might get worse before it gets better
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

The thought of popping it made me kind of queasy too, considering how much it hurt to nurse with it! For me, sticking with a pin was completely painless, like a blister on your foot. And actually, the bleb had popped on its own against my bra before that and kept filling back up.

I completely understand wanting to let it heal on its own. I did that the first two times I had my bleb. When it came back a third time that's when I got fed up and peeled away the skin. Haven't seen it since! And the pain relief was instant - no more holding my breath during the latch-on

Good luck healing the your bleb!

I know exactly what you mean That's exactly what I was talking about...I already knew the pain while bfing, and then I still have to "pop" it on top of that??? OMG

I did pull it off last night with my fingers right after bfing and It was burning really bad for a couple of minutes because bm was leaking on it. But for the wee-hour nursing it was "better". Still hurt, but now it was more like a really sore, "first-time bfing" type soreness, KWIM?
    I cringe when it's time to bf on that side.

How long does the soreness last
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Sorry it burned for you! I think that within a couple of days the sore spot where the bleb was will feel better after some healing. If you have a more general soreness, you might want to read up a little on thrush just to make sure you don't have it. (It can cause blebs and soreness just like with first time breastfeeding.) Hopefully that's not an issue for you, and you'll be good as new in a couple of days