Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's Milk

Default Cow's Milk

My 12 month old is completely weaned from BM. Getting him into cow's milk has been a struggle. Any suggestions on how to do it to make him drink milk. I feel like a fealure!!! HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!

Mother to a lovely 12 month old born on Oct 27, 2008 at 6lbs 1oz and 19.5 in. He's now 21lbs. 6oz and 30 in long.

I loved every minute of BF. I would do it again!!!

Default Re: Cow's Milk

some kids just do not like it and that is ok.. You don't need glass after glass of milk to thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    some kids just do not like it and that is ok.. You don't need glass after glass of milk to thrive.

How does he do with his solids? There are lots of iron and calcium rich foods out there, not all cultures drink cow's milk and their babies are fine and dandy.

That said, dairy IS a handy and convenient source of some of those nutrients - does he like cheese and yogurt?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

with the PPs. Cow's milk is a convenient source of calcium, but there are plenty of other ways to get calcium into your kid- leafy greens, tofu, whole milk yogurt, cheese... As long as he's eating those, you don't need to worry about the cow's milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bigdpeanut27 View Post
    I loved every minute of BF. I would do it again!!!
    Since you put it that way, are you at all interested in BFing again? It may not be too late to unwean your baby, if you're both interested in doing so. And as long as a toddler is nursing 3-5 times a day (if I recall that figure correctly), there's no need to offer cow's milk, since all his calcium needs will be getting met. No pressure- just wanted to throw that alternative out there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the feedback. He is eating cheese okay as well as whole milk yogurt. As for solids, he is still on jar food, stage 2 to be exact. From time to time he will eat from my plate. Mostly, he eats his solid food. I am just nervous he may not take as much milk as he needs.