Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ok when baby feeds on one side for 20 min?

Default ok when baby feeds on one side for 20 min?

Hello! When breastfeeding, sometimes my one month old baby will feed on one side for 20 minutes, then when I switch her to the other side she will doze off in like just a few minutes. Does this affect my milk supply on the '3 minute' side? I will usually start her off on the '3 minute' side at the next feeding, but since she barely nursed the time before, will this stimulate this side to produce LESS milk?
    Last edited by jnugget; February 12th, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

Default Re: ok when baby feeds on one side for 20 min?

What you are doing is just fine. There is no rule that says they have to nurse both sides everytime. 20 min on one side means she is getting a good supply of hindmilk. Your supply should be just fine. Keep on keeping on.

You're doing fine. If you alternate the side you start with at each feeding, then over the long run, each breast is getting equal stimulation and thus will produce about equal supply. But even if you forget sometimes and start with the "wrong" side, it won't affect the amount of milk your baby is getting. Moms have been known to nurse successfully using only one breast!

You definitely shouldn't start limiting her time at the first breast -- she needs to nurse that first breast as long as she wants, to get the higher-fat hindmilk that tends to come later in a feeding.

--Rebecca

It sounds like you are doing great You can nurse on the "3 minute side" first at the next feeding.

Default That is how my son nursed

and I have never had a problem with supply. You're doing great!