Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing Supply / normal?

Default Increasing Supply / normal?

Hi,
    I have a 4 week old and I am trying to increase my supply. I am able to pump a 1/2 oz to 1 oz in addition to her normal feeding... is that normal or should I be able to pump more than that? It just doesn't seem like very much. She has struggled to gain weight, and she is a WONDERFUL sleeper. She will honestly sleep 7 hours straight if I don't wake her for feedings. She seems to be gaining since her 2 week check up and she is totally content between feedings but she doesn't have regular bm's. Somedays she will have 8 other days she will go a day or 2 between bm's. I am just trying to figure out this pumping thing now. I have an avent isis and a medela electric double select. I have been using the avent. I have to go back and forth between my breasts to pump anything. Like 1-2 minute on this side, then switch..back and forth. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I am so confused... Thanks.

Default Re: Increasing Supply / normal?

Quote Originally Posted by hisgirl7
    I am able to pump a 1/2 oz to 1 oz in addition to her normal feeding... is that normal or should I be able to pump more than that?
    That sounds pretty good to me! Some moms don't respond to pumps well; babies are much better at getting the milk out. 1/2-1 oz after a normal feeding seems like a decent amt to me, anyone else know for sure?
    she doesn't have regular bm's. Somedays she will have 8 other days she will go a day or 2 between bm's.
    My DS was the same way. Then around 6 wks or so he started just having 1 every few days. This is pretty normal.

I don't know about the pumping back and forth every few minutes; I always heard to stay on ea side for 10-15 but I STINK at pumping!!! Yuck.
    Best of luck,

My DS's BMs vary as well. His Doctor said breastmilk doesn't have too much stuff in it that creates a lot of waste, so as long as there are plenty of wet diapers you shouldn't have to worry.

Hi,
    I have an avent isis and a medela electric double select. I have been using the avent. .
    I also have the Avent Isis and am thinking of purchasing the Medela- I'd love to hear you impressions of both, comparisons, likes, dislikes, etc. How do you compare the fit of each pump?

Thanks so much.

Also, I find that in the morning I can get about 3 ounces out, but the rest of the day I typically can only get about an ounce.

It sounds like you're doing great to me! Just keep pumping. Try finding someplace where you can position yourself comfortably and relax (read a magazine or watch tv). Babies are the most efficient, but being relaxed can help with your pumping a lot. I worked while pumping to breastfeed my son from 8 weeks to 10 months old. I work from home part time now. Pumping isn't fun, but it will help increase your supply. Do try pumping at each breast for 10-15 minutes if you can. If it becomes uncomfortable or painful just build up to that amount of time.

Also my son had the same thing with his BM. My pediatrician said that it is fine, it just means that they're digesting all of the nutrients of the milk and there just anything left over so to speak.