Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation, PPD

Unhappy Relactation, PPD

Hello, my name is Laurel. I'm a new mommy to 9 week old Caroline. I nursed her for 2 weeks. I have really bad PPD, so I stoped breastfeeding to take anti-depressants. I took them for 6 weeks, while my baby got formula. I cried all day everyday. I thought that I had made a horrible decision. I felt like the worst mom in the world. But... one morning when I had just stepped out of the shower my daughter started to cry. I picked her up (nude os course), and she latched on! It had been weeks since I tried to nurse her! She was instantly comforted! I was so excited that I knew that I had to give it another shot. I rented a hospital grade pump, and have been at it for a week and a half. My milk is coming back now (it was never really gone... I could squeeze some out here and there). But now that there is a little bit of milk there, my daughter has little interest in nursing. She'll latch on for a few minutes, then start screaming! It's so frustrating! I'm sure that once my milk production is "up to speed" it will be more welcoming to her. But I also feel that the longer that she has a bottle, the harder it will be for her to latch on! Ahh!

Default Re: Relactation, PPD

please see my reply to your first post

it's not about your latch problem (sorry) but about the meds issue...
    good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Number3, your baby is so beautiful! My daughter sucks her fingers like that too!

Hi there! Welcome to the relactation forum. We are all going through similar situations so you will find yourself in the comfort of others just like you.

I am in Glen Burnie, Maryland, btw! I just saw that you're in Silver Spring. If you would ever like any local support, we can arrange a time to get together somewhere. Sometimes it helps to have a physical cheering team!

In terms of PPD and breastfeeding, I have severe PPD as well. It is controlled by Paxil. Zoloft and Paxil are the 2 safer meds to use while breastfeeding. Def get back on some meds asap! PPD doesn't just go away! Baby needs a happy and healthy mama!

It sounds to me like a supplmental nursing system would work well for you. Since she will latch at this point. An SNS will allow you to feed her the formula (or expressed breastmilk) while nursing at the breast. It is a setup a bottle that hangs from you neck and tubes that go from the bottle down the breast, to the nipple. That way, she's learning that the breast equals food but you're meeting her hunger needs AND her suckling will tell your body to make milk! A win-win situation!

Offer her the breast whenever you can. Before offering a bottle, offer the breast. When she's tired, offer her the breast instead of a paci. Whenever she sucks on her fingers, offer her the breast.

Pumping - You should pump every 2-3 hours for 15-20 min at a time. And at least once during the night time. More if you can swing it.

My DS just woke up but feel free to PM me! Oh, and some domperidone may be useful to you to help increase supply.A few of us are going in on an order from New Zeland so let me know if you'd be interested.

Good luck! I'll post more later!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie'sMommy
    Number3, your baby is so beautiful! My daughter sucks her fingers like that too!
    Thanks! aren't they funny when they do that!!!!!

Hope you're getting some helpful answers around here - I know I did when I first came aboard!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.