Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rejecting Bottle

Default Rejecting Bottle

Not sure where to put this. DS (6mo) is mainly breastfed tho I have pumped all along. He took a few bottles early on from daddy and did fine with it. After a few months of breast only he got snobby and now wont take a bottle at all. I would really like it if he would take an occassional bottle for date night and the like. I have tried it with frozen milk, refrig, and freshly pumped...nothing works. I, DH, and Aunt have tried to no avail. We use avent bottles. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Rejecting Bottle

My daughter did this too. How long are you planning on being away from your son? If it's for a date night, just a few hours? Or do you plan on longer separations?

What my babysitter did was just offer the bottle often and if Lilah cried, M just removed it. Then she would try again later. I am away from her for 10.5 hours four days a week though, so she really had to drink milk in some way.

In your case I don't think it's imperative that your son take the bottle because you are at home with him during the day and it doesn't seem like you are talking about leaving for long periods of time. I think you could nurse him right before you leave and then when you get back. Leave a bottle with the caregiver and if he doesn't take it, he doesn't take it.

If you're uncomfortable with that, you could try a sippy or straw cup. Or what about making a milk slushie - partially frozen milk and they could give it to him on a spoon. Is he interested in drinking out of a regular cup? M also poured milk into Lilah's mouth when she was refusing bottles just to make sure she got some milk in her.

Other people have tried different bottle/nipple combinations to make it work. Does your son take a pacifier? If so, maybe a nipple shaped the same as the paci? Something else to try if you haven't already - switch to a fast flow nipple. If it's only a once in a while thing, I don't think he's going to develop a bottle preference at 6 months. We switched to a fast flow just to get some milk into my babies mouth, and 8 or 9 months later we're going strong - she has grown to accept bottles but does not like them.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    My daughter did this too. How long are you planning on being away from your son? If it's for a date night, just a few hours? Or do you plan on longer separations?

What my babysitter did was just offer the bottle often and if Lilah cried, M just removed it. Then she would try again later. I am away from her for 10.5 hours four days a week though, so she really had to drink milk in some way.

In your case I don't think it's imperative that your son take the bottle because you are at home with him during the day and it doesn't seem like you are talking about leaving for long periods of time. I think you could nurse him right before you leave and then when you get back. Leave a bottle with the caregiver and if he doesn't take it, he doesn't take it.

If you're uncomfortable with that, you could try a sippy or straw cup. Or what about making a milk slushie - partially frozen milk and they could give it to him on a spoon. Is he interested in drinking out of a regular cup? M also poured milk into Lilah's mouth when she was refusing bottles just to make sure she got some milk in her.

Other people have tried different bottle/nipple combinations to make it work. Does your son take a pacifier? If so, maybe a nipple shaped the same as the paci? Something else to try if you haven't already - switch to a fast flow nipple. If it's only a once in a while thing, I don't think he's going to develop a bottle preference at 6 months. We switched to a fast flow just to get some milk into my babies mouth, and 8 or 9 months later we're going strong - she has grown to accept bottles but does not like them.
    My DD is also rejecting all the bottles we've tried with the Newborn/slow nipples and it's worrysome because I go back to work in 2 weeks. We'll be trying the cheapie Gerbers with the Medium and the Avent with the Stage 2 nipples tonight with my neighbor's help where I will take DD to her house and walk out.

Just wanted to let ya'll know that you're not alone. Trial and error!
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Thanks! I am really not committed to trying a bunch of stuff since I am with him mostly and it would be a rare occassion for him to have a bottle. Dont want to spend lots of money on bottles.

I do use the avent pacifiers and I got the fast flow nipple for him since he is a very efficient nurser, but still no go...

Oh well, he's on solids so he can just eat til I get home or live off his fat stores...hes quite the chunker!