Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I crazy to even consider this?

Default Am I crazy to even consider this?

My husband and I had to postpone a cruise in September due to the birth of our baby 9-9-09. We had gotten a great deal with some onboard credit, etc. and to keep those perks, the travel agent let us reschedule it for March 2010.

My baby will be 6 months old at the time and I was NOT planning on weaning her until she was closer to a year old. I hope to have her on some solids by that time, and I don't think I'll have any problems having enough milk stored for her to drink while we're gone, I've already started stockpiling at my house, my in-laws, and my parent's house. When I need an occasional bottle, we use the oldest frozen milk and I pump to replace it, in order to keep my supply rotated.

However, I just realized to keep my supply up, I'm going to have to pump and dump while I'm on the cruise ship! Which doesn't seem like a problem, but it's a seven night cruise, plus travel days. Plus, when you think about port days and not being on the ship for hours at a time...it gets a bit sticky.

Is it feasible for me to take my double electric pump and dump as much as possible when I'm in the cabin, and maybe take my manual ashore with us for some relief while we're having our beach days? I'm worried that my supply will go down when I'm on the cruise, both from not having my daughter breastfeeding and in case I am not as diligent about pumping as I should be.

Anyone vacationed away from their LO for a significant amount of time and NOT have their milk supply decrease? I also hate to think of all the milk I'm going to have to waste, but I really don't want to wean my daughter just for the selfish reason of wanting to take a vacation.

Default Re: Am I crazy to even consider this?

No advice, but could you talk to the cruise ship folks about a freezer for your cabin? That way you could freeze the milk you pump and not have to dump it. I would sure hate to dump all that milk.

I have not been away from my baby at night yet and don't plan on it ever. I guess someday she will want to spend the night somewhere else and I may have to travel for work, but I'm trying to push that off until she is at least over 2.

I know other people who have left their babies and had a great time. However, I think you should consider the fact that this may cause her to wean. It might be very difficult to get her back to the breast after an entire week on bottles. Is there any way you can postpone the trip until after you wean?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No advice, but could you talk to the cruise ship folks about a freezer for your cabin? That way you could freeze the milk you pump and not have to dump it.
    Maybe you could just buy a small one and bring it with you?

I know other people who have left their babies and had a great time. However, I think you should consider the fact that this may cause her to wean. It might be very difficult to get her back to the breast after an entire week on bottles. Is there any way you can postpone the trip until after you wean?
    A week is a long time for a baby to be exclusively on bottles, and it really could cause weaning. There's no guarantee either way- but definitely something to think about while you make your decision. Could you possibly bring your baby with you on the cruise, and turn it into a family vacation?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with the other ideas, but I have to ask you...can YOU be away from your baby that long? Is this cruise worth it?

You guys are confirming what I thought...we are probably going to postpone it again.

There's no way I would take a 6 month old on a cruise, it wouldn't be relaxing for any of us, plus I think it's ridiculous that the cruiseline would charge me the full 3rd passenger fare (we already considered this option!)

And as much as I'd like to go, I don't want to do it at the expense of weaning her. I can't imagine being away from her for 9 days, anyway...although both sets of grandparents and my husband keep saying,
    "oh, you'll be fine..." Easy for them to say, huh?

My DS is 14 weeks old and my MIL took him over night to give us a bit of a break.... We slept less then we would have if he was there. I kept "hearing" him fussing in his crib, and couldn't sleep at all. We are not going to try that again for a long while I'll sleep on the weekends when DS naps.

You guys are confirming what I thought...we are probably going to postpone it again.
    Sorry, Mama! I know it would be so nice to go on a cruise... FWIW, I think you made the right decision.

There's no way I would take a 6 month old on a cruise, it wouldn't be relaxing for any of us, plus I think it's ridiculous that the cruiseline would charge me the full 3rd passenger fare (we already considered this option!)
    Well, you know those 6 month olds- just imagine how much shrimp they eat at the buffet! Of course you'd need to pay full fare for that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can tell you that I've traveled with a 3 month old before, for an interview. We were out and about for 3-4 days. I've also spent a couple nights in a hotel when she was older, but still getting breast milk.

There are a couple things you may be able to do:

You might want to look into the possibility of shipping your milk from the ports of call. You can bring an insulated bag and keep it full of ice, changing it out when it's about half melted and the milk should stay for a day or two at least. I've frequently done this when traveling with my daughter because I would bring some milk from home and replenish the supply as time goes on.

You also might want to consider bringing your little one. My daughter did remarkably well at 3 months on an airplane and at the hotel we stayed in, and that was the first time for both for her. It would depend entirely on the disposition of your little one. If they get fussy easy it may not be fun, but then again it may not be so bad, either.

If it were me though, I'd try to see if we could perhaps reschedule for another time. My worry though would be that since you've already done it once, it might cost you extra, or the travel agent may not be willing to push it back again. I have no experience with these things personally, so I can't say.

If you can't reschedule or stand to lose money / have to spend more, just go. You may not be able to do everything you originally planned, but it could still be great fun.

As for pumping, if you have time, look into getting a Medela Pump In Style. They're wonderful pumps (I used mine for 15 months straight and it still worked beautifully when I finally hung up the horns - and I was an exclusive pumper). The nice thing is that they have two styles -- back pack and hand bag. No one will know what it is unless you a) tell them b) they've had one before or know someone who has. And really, who cares if they know it's a pump? But, if you can bring the little one, than you don't even need to worry about that.

Good luck, and I hope you can still have our vacation sometime!
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.