Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone Pump Foremilk and Hindmilk into Separate Bottles?

Question Anyone Pump Foremilk and Hindmilk into Separate Bottles?

I would like to pump the foremilk and hindmilk into separate bottles so that when my LO gets the EBM, it can be more like actual BFing. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on how to best determine when to switch the bottles? Thanks in advance!
    Married my best friend in 2006
    Gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in June 2009

He's been a champ at for the past 5 months with no sign of slowing down!
    And <<knock on wood>> started sleeping through the night when he was 2 weeks old
    I'm figuring out all the tricks to while I work outside the home full-time

Default Re: Anyone Pump Foremilk and Hindmilk into Separate Bottles?

I don't really think this is possible.

Your milk that you pump earlier in the day will have less fat in it than the milk you pump later in the day. You could number the bottles and have them given at the same time you pumped them.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The change from foremilk to hindmilk is so gradual that it would be very difficult to pinpoint when to switch. And I'm not sure what the benefit would be, to be honest.

If you could get one bottle with more foremilk and one with more hindmilk I could foresee it leading to a baby with a foremilk hindmilk imbalance. They drink much faster from the bottle and could get full on the foremilk and not want to drink the hindmilk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    The change from foremilk to hindmilk is so gradual that it would be very difficult to pinpoint when to switch. And I'm not sure what the benefit would be, to be honest.

If you could get one bottle with more foremilk and one with more hindmilk I could foresee it leading to a baby with a foremilk hindmilk imbalance. They drink much faster from the bottle and could get full on the foremilk and not want to drink the hindmilk.

If you really want to do this, I would suggest pumping either at different times of day (as someone else suggested), or keeping the two breasts separate. I know for me, I get a "light" side and a "heavy" side when I double-pump.

Another way to do this would be to allow the milk to settle in the fridge for a while, and then pour it into 2 bottles, one which has more watery milk and less cream, and one which has more cream and less watery stuff. Just don't make one "all-cream" bottle and one "all-foremilk" bottle, because the switchover is gradual, and even at the beginning of a feeding your milk has some fat in it, just not as much as it does at the end.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"