Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maybe not ready for solids?

Default Maybe not ready for solids?

Let me start by saying DH is totally against BLS...although, he hasn't been able to give me a good reason

My DS is 6 months and 2 weeks old. He can sit unassisted very well. I've tried pureed sweet potatoes and oatmeal cereal. My DS isn't interested in either...I've been trying every day...twice a day. I nurse him and then wait about 20 minutes. Then, after trying to feed him...I get him out of the high chair and he instantly wants to nurse. Maybe he's not ready? How imperative is it that he is eating right now? If it matters...he nurses a lot...like every 2 hours during the day and multiple times at night (we cosleep).
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: Maybe not ready for solids?

I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know my LO is the same way. He is 6 1/2 months, and not interested in purees ... at all. He actually smiles at me and spits the food back out of his mouth.
    and and

Emily, wife to Andrew, first time momma to Benjamin~ born 4-20-09

I don't think there's anything to worry about. Just keep offering and eventually, he'll get more interested in eating. Until he's a year old, his main source of nutrition should still be breastmilk and even after a year old, his transition to mostly solids will be gradual. My DS wasn't too interested in eating much until around 11-12 months old.

Hope that helps!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Thanks! I'm feeling better about it.

Bensmom - your LO is only 3 days older than mine!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

According to my pediatrician, until the first birthday solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not necessary for nutrition until around the time the baby turns one, and even then the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, with many babies still mostly breastfed well into the second year of life.

Try to think of solids like a fun new game- if your baby eats some, great! If he allows you to put the spoon in but then spits the food out, fine! If he won't open his mouth and prefers to smear the solids all over his high chair try- hey, still a triumph!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"