Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore/Cranky and Feeling Sad

Default Sore/Cranky and Feeling Sad

Hi! I am totally new at breastfeeding. My baby is heading into his 6th day. He is exclusively breastfed.
    As I had a midwife birth, he was placed on my chest immediately following birth for 1.5 hrs. And within minutes of birth, he was latched and feeding.

Now, I seem to be having problems. I have a really sore left breast. There was a latch that went awry so I had days of nipple soreness. Now, it seems to hurt ALL the time. My midwife told me that it may take some time to finish healing. She has looked at his latch and when shes around we can get him to take it correctly, but when I am alone he slips off a proper latch. even when he has a proper latch it does hurt. I can feel the milk coming out. And it has a hot burning drawn out sensation.

He seems to be getting frustrated, as he is reluctant to take that breast now. I think perhaps my pain response, while I try to subdue, is discouraging him from wanting that breast. That breast is also obviously not receiving as much milk in as the other.

My husband tries to help me get latched, set up etc. But I find I get upset, frustrated and have to take a time out. Its defintely developing into a bad situation that I don't want to subject my Baby to, nor my well meaning husband.

I am feeling as though I am totally failing at this. Our baby is having ALOT of poo/pees and has surpassed his birth weight by 2ozs, so theres no worries there.

Today is our first day of not having to wake to feed him or keep him on the schedule, as he has met his birth weight + some. I find it freeing and would really like to see our breastfeeding sessions to be more intimate and about developing our nuturing relationship. Something that happens while he's on the other breast, but not this one!

Also, I seem to struggle with any positions other then the sidelying. I am most comfortable then, as does it seem Baby is. Is this ok?

Also, my midwife taught me how to hand express to help with my awful engorgements, she also recommended I do the cabbage bit. Do I COOK the cabbage first or lay 'er on there raw??

Any help or encouragement would be appreciated!!

Thanks
    C

Default Re: Sore/Cranky and Feeling Sad

way to go on the weight. I had an awful time, I had sore cracked nipples for 6 weeks before I figured out how to latch properly and that was only because I was surfing the internet on how to BF because I was at my wits end. I am so glad that you have the resources that you need. It is so awesome to be supported. I fed my DS formula the third night we had him home because the FIL swore I was starving my son. Good for your DH is trying to help you out. Please know that we are here for you. I wish I could help with the latch thing but maybe you could call your midwife again. Are you using any cream? You probably already know this but if you're getting frustrated, then so is your LO. Take a nice deep breath and beath deeply. I'm so happy to hear about his weight gain. That rocks!!! I wish you the best and it will get better. Believe me, you'll get this figured out and then your LO will go through a growth spurt and you'll feel like this all over again. (not the soreness, but the frustration), then you'll figure out what's going on and something else will get you frustrated. Then you'll figure that out,well you get the pic. Anyway, best of luck and keep us posted

When I first brought my baby home from the hospital, I struggled alot with breastfeeding. I ended up with cracked and sore nipples--I just couldn't get my DS to latch on properly. The public health nurse would come by the house and help me with the latch, but like you, as soon as she left the latch would 'fall apart'. In addition, I suffered from mastitis--not fun!

I know what you are going through, you must feel frustrated and sore! Hang in there...it DOES get better! In the meantime, when your son latches on take a look at this lower lip. In my situation, my DS would curl his bottom lip inward,which would lead to A LOT of pain. If that is what your baby is doing, take your index finger and gently pull his chin downward (as he is sucking). For me, the relief was almost immediate.

As for the pain, if your nipple is cracked it will take time for it to heal. You may want to just hand express the sore breast until it heals. However, if the pain is coming from the breast (shooting pain, redness) you may want to get it looked at.

Be careful when using the cabbage. Apparently, if used too frequently it can hurt your milk supply. You do not need to boil the cabbage, just take apart the leaves, rinse and store in a ziploc bag and put in the fridge. After a feeding, take a leaf and crush the hard 'veins' (so the leaf is easier to manipulate) and place in your bra. You can leave it against your breast for 20minutes or so (until the leaf is warm).

Your baby is obviously getting enough milk from you (judging by the wet diapers), so you are doing a great job! Don't get discouraged, you will heal and it WILL get easier.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen2
    Hi! I am totally new at breastfeeding. My baby is heading into his 6th day. He is exclusively breastfed.
    As I had a midwife birth, he was placed on my chest immediately following birth for 1.5 hrs. And within minutes of birth, he was latched and feeding.

Now, I seem to be having problems. I have a really sore left breast. There was a latch that went awry so I had days of nipple soreness. Now, it seems to hurt ALL the time. My midwife told me that it may take some time to finish healing. She has looked at his latch and when shes around we can get him to take it correctly, but when I am alone he slips off a proper latch. even when he has a proper latch it does hurt. I can feel the milk coming out. And it has a hot burning drawn out sensation.

He seems to be getting frustrated, as he is reluctant to take that breast now. I think perhaps my pain response, while I try to subdue, is discouraging him from wanting that breast. That breast is also obviously not receiving as much milk in as the other.

My husband tries to help me get latched, set up etc. But I find I get upset, frustrated and have to take a time out. Its defintely developing into a bad situation that I don't want to subject my Baby to, nor my well meaning husband.

I am feeling as though I am totally failing at this. Our baby is having ALOT of poo/pees and has surpassed his birth weight by 2ozs, so theres no worries there.

Today is our first day of not having to wake to feed him or keep him on the schedule, as he has met his birth weight + some. I find it freeing and would really like to see our breastfeeding sessions to be more intimate and about developing our nuturing relationship. Something that happens while he's on the other breast, but not this one!

Also, I seem to struggle with any positions other then the sidelying. I am most comfortable then, as does it seem Baby is. Is this ok?

Also, my midwife taught me how to hand express to help with my awful engorgements, she also recommended I do the cabbage bit. Do I COOK the cabbage first or lay 'er on there raw??

Any help or encouragement would be appreciated!!

Thanks
    C

I think whatever position you need to be in to stay comfy, esp at first, is what you need to do. When I was engorged and sore and my nipples hurt etc. I put a warm compress on them when I went to bed. It helped SOOOO much!! I was never told to do that, I just tried it and it felt awesome. Anyone know for sure if that's ok?

Hi there, Congratulations on your newborn!! I too had terrible sore nipples and difficulties latching with my first... it was a lot worse on one side (my right) and it would take me at least 15 mins to get my DD latched before the horrors of the actual feed began! my midwife suggested taking my DD to an osteopath as sometimes the birth can cause problems with latching ( birth injury/sore neck) especially with assisted delivery (we had forceps) sure enough things got better very quickly after seeing the osteo, so could be worth a try? Good Luck I hope things get better quickly for you!

Hi! My midwife told me that it may take some time to finish healing. She has looked at his latch and when shes around we can get him to take it correctly, but when I am alone he slips off a proper latch. even when he has a proper latch it does hurt. I can feel the milk coming out. And it has a hot burning drawn out sensation.

Yep, it can take several days for a sore nipple to heal. I had one that was so painful in the first few weeks that I pumped that side for 24 hours to let it rest and nursed only on the other. That was also the side I had less milk on, interestingly enough. If it's really cracked and red, you might want your midwife to look at it and make sure you aren't getting an infection.

Healing damaged nipples takes time, but you can try Lansinoh cream or Nipple Butter, keeping clothing from rubbing them between feedings (I went around without a shirt on!), hydrogel pads, wool nursing pads, Bosom Buddies (I have heard these are great!) and/or the cabbage leaves. I tried one or all when I got a really bad blister at 14 months of nursing, developed a sore on my nipple and it took a couple weeks to heal. Ouch.

You are doing a great job if he's already exceeded his birth weight!!

If you want to nurse sidelying, that's fine. It will also help you get some extra rest. You'll learn the other positions later.

Hang in there. . . sounds like you are doing fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy
    You'll learn the other positions later.
    Thank you so much...
    Everything everyone of you said was so reassuring. I'm such a nervous mum. And want everything to be perfect. It so nice to have connected here.
    That last statement there epitomizes what I needed to hear. Both Yonah and I are learning, its not going to work right off the bat.
    And I'm so lucky that it is going as well as it is!!
    Again thank you for these responses!

Colleen

Oh, gosh... Your post just goes right to my heart. I remember those early, excruciating days of breastfeeding like they were yesterday, instead of 6 months ago. Every time my daughter latched on, I shrieked in pain. By the time she was 2 weeks old, I had deep cracks and was having to supplement with formula because the bad latch had led to supply problems. Two lactation consultants, a prescription for the prolactin-increasing drug Reglan, and many pumping sessions later, my daughter was an exclusively breastfed baby again. But it took 4.5 months for the cracks to heal , and during the worst times I felt like a failure as a mother and as woman.

I'm not sharing my story to scare you- really, I'm not! I just want you to know that there are many other people out there who have experienced similar troubles, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it!!!

If there's any advice I would really stand by, it is this: go see a lactation consultant! Every one knows different tricks, and one may see what another missed. It might take a few sessions to figure out what is causing your difficulties. Also, if feeding lying down is working for you, stick with it. Other positions will come later. In the end, lying down to feed was the only thing that worked for me until my daughter was 5 months old.

Good luck. We're all rooting for you!

Happy to announce, Yonah and I just had a 15-ish minute pain free session on my 'bad' side. (perhaps I need to call it something else to give it positive energy)
    He popped on and off a few times and returned with the less painful latch. I did have to readjust his latch a bit, as he seems to pull his top lip down alot, causing a pinching feeling, as he progresses thru his feedings.
    Thanks so much. I'm loving this website. Its making a whole world of difference to how I am apporaching it today.
    Maybe contributing to our success!

C