Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: h1n1 shot...are you getting it while breastfeeding?

Question h1n1 shot...are you getting it while breastfeeding?

Hey ladies!!! My ped. told me to get the h1n1 shot because my newborn would get antibodies passed through my breastmilk. That would protect her a little bit if she was exposed. I was just curious if any of you are getting the shot? I was kindof scared about the mercury content in the shot and breastfeeding. I am nervous it will harm my baby through my milk.

If any of you have any info on this I would greatly appreciate it! I would love to know if any of you are getting this and if you are at all nervous about it. Thank you!

Carlie

Default Re: h1n1 shot...are you getting it while breastfeeding?

I am not getting the shot; I am just continuing to nurse DS so that he gets general immunities (including stem cells!) from me. I'd rather avoid the mercury, both for him and for myself. Not to mention that it's a completely new vax, which also makes me nervous. I'd rather not be the test case, thank you very much!

Here's some info about the shot; there's a discussion about the vaccine on this thread (that's what I'm quoting below - a post by nolies.mama):

The EPA "safe" level for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg.

This came up because the regular flu shot contains 25mcg and the H1N1 can contain between 25-30. This is the multi dose version. Not the single shot or the mist.

Jenn did the math and put it in real terms.

for a 25 lb baby - 1.133 micrograms of mercury is considered safe per day.

for a 250 lb man - 11.33 micrograms of mercury is considered safe per day.

You would have to be 550 lbs to safely absorb 25 micrograms per day and 661 lbs to safely absorb 30 micrograms per day.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I have already recived the H1N1 shot. I have continued to feed. My Dr had recommended I get the shot to protect myself and my LO.

She said that my DD MIGHT get SOME antibodies but that just with ME being protected from H1N1, DD is less likely to get it.

I asked my Dr if there were any hazards associated with BF and the shot but she said no and that it's better to have gotten the shot and get mildly sick if I catch it, rather than getting sick with it and having no antibodies at all and get my daughter sick, as well!

I have had no adverse effects from the H1N1 shot and neither has my daughter.

HOWEVER, the annual flu shot made my arm really sore. . . not related, I know. Just an after thought!

It's great that you are so concerned, but as far as I know, there are no risks with you or your little one!
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I am not getting the shot; I am just continuing to nurse DS so that he gets general immunities (including stem cells!) from me. I'd rather avoid the mercury, both for him and for myself. Not to mention that it's a completely new vax, which also makes me nervous. I'd rather not be the test case, thank you very much!

Here's some info about the shot; there's a discussion about the vaccine on this thread (that's what I'm quoting below - a post by nolies.mama):

The EPA "safe" level for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg.

This came up because the regular flu shot contains 25mcg and the H1N1 can contain between 25-30. This is the multi dose version. Not the single shot or the mist.

Jenn did the math and put it in real terms.

for a 25 lb baby - 1.133 micrograms of mercury is considered safe per day.

for a 250 lb man - 11.33 micrograms of mercury is considered safe per day.

You would have to be 550 lbs to safely absorb 25 micrograms per day and 661 lbs to safely absorb 30 micrograms per day.

Same here
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I'm definitely getting it, but I'm an ER nurse and I'm returning to work next week after being basically quarantined at home for the past 8 weeks with my LO.

I do not want to get sick as soon as I return to work...at least 25% of my co-workers have already had H1N1 and it is still very prevalent in our area, with 12 deaths.

I am going to take a look at the other thread (haven't read it yet). I am not nursing any more but have been "trying" to do more research on vaccines in general. I checked out Dr. Sears website for updates about this virus as he writes The Vaccine Book which a lot of moms like because it is easier to understand and he breaks vaccine info down in an easier to understand way and does not seem to push an agenda either way. The site is askdrsears.com and then click on vaccines. This is what he says about H1NI and pregnancy/nursing:

What about pregnant and/or nursing mothers?

This is a little scary. The flu shots are ALREADY recommended for pregnant and nursing moms, BUT (and this is a really huge but) the vaccine product inserts make it very clear that the regular flu vaccines have never been tested on pregnant or nursing women to determine if there is any harm to fetuses or young babies (with one exception – the ****Flumist nasal spray brand did have some testing in this area, BUT not enough, as is stated in the product insert).

Despite this complete lack of research, it is recommended for these moms anyway. Anyone see a problem with that?

If you do get a flu shot, at least make sure it is mercury free (or at least only TRACE mercury).
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I'm not getting it because if the strand mutates, then that shot will be ineffective in protecting you against that new strand, meaning you could still get sick. That is why it could be so hard to control that epidemic, it keeps mutating and changing constantly.
    I'll just keep eating healthy, sanitizing (especially after touching ANYTHING in public), and taking precautions.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

DH and I both got it yesterday. He works on a college campus and I am a dental hygienist. We have an 11 week old so we thought it would be more of a risk for us not to get it.

I also got the seasonal flu shot at my 6 week PP appointment.

Not sure of how true it is but they are saying that the mom may pass some of the antibodies to the baby through breastmilk.

Nope I'm not getting it because I had a reaction to the preservatives used in vaccines as a kid. And since this is a brand new vaccine I can't guarantee that I won't have an allergic reaction. I don't get the seasonal flu shot either. I have asthma so it is strongly recommended that I get the shot but I always catch another strain of the flu so I don't see how it would protect me. I'm not getting it for lo either because the ped does not recommend it and I am not comfortable with it. I'm not saying that it's "wrong" to get the vaccine but that it just is not right for my family.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

We'll be getting it. We'll be TTC soon and I want to be sure that I limit my chances of getting sick. LO only nurses about 3 - 4 times a day now.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and