Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump for slow let down and cruddy supply??

Default Pump for slow let down and cruddy supply??

Hi!
    I am trying to build my low milk supply and have been using a rental Symphony pump. I can be VERY full and unable to pump more than an ounce or 2 sometimes. Is there a pump out there that is more comfortable and stimulates more than just your nipple? Any suggestions? I'm not convinced Medela is for me but I don't want to spent money if there is nothing better out there!

Thanks!

Default Re: Pump for slow let down and cruddy supply??

Can you try massaging your breasts with your hands before you pump? What about a warm compress? Those might help also... Are you drinking enough? I know that I usually forget to drink and then my supply decreases and that's a pretty quick wake-up call for me to get my act together.
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

How did it go? Did you try anything different?

Still having problems with let down I think the warm compress helps a bit and I'm trying to ensure I get enough H2O! I'm also using rescue remedy before i pump to help me relax. Sucks to KNOW you milk in there and not be able to get it out!
    Any other let down tips?

How old is your baby? Do you have your little one near you when you pump? If not, stay calm when you pump and have something that is theirs for you to look at and smell while you're pumping. The other thing is not to look at the clock, if you can help it. Do you pump after a feeding or instead of? Also, set up a place where you pump regularly and outfit it with all the commforts you need. If you are nursing and your baby is gaining weight and growing well by nursing, then you should be able to extract enough to provide milk for your little one while you are away. It's hard to stay calm and optimistic when you're in the middle of a challenge but take it one day at a time.

Another thing to try is to call Medela customer service and ask them if there's a way to adjust the settings on the Symphony to help with let-down. I've called them many times to answer my questions about all things Freestyle and they were very helpful.

My friend, a NICU nurse, suggested pumping in the bath or shower! The tubing on the pump is long enough to keep the pump itself away from the water. If you have an outlet in the bathroom in a location that works, it really helps with the relaxation!

By the way, you mentioned the pump just working on the nipple. That may mean you need a larger size flange. Your nipple should not be rubbing against the tube. Check with the lactation consultant for help in choosing the right size. If that isn't an option due to cost, you can find the larger flanges at some Target stores and at Babies R Us. A Medela rep may even be able to help on the phone if you need to order from them.