Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions About Starting Solids

Default Questions About Starting Solids

My LO is 4 months and 2 weeks old. His ped is saying I should start solids and start with rice cereal. This was at his 4mo check up 2 weeks ago. So we just had our first bit of cereal last night and it went well I think. I made it as the box said (I unfortunatly am a working mom so don't really have time to make home-made) and mixed 1 Tbl with 4 Tbl of EBM. It turned out REALLY runny. We only had I would say about 1 teaspoon worth. I am not worried about how much my LO ate but what consistancy should the cereal be? Did I do it right? Secondly what suggestions would anyone have on first "real" food to try and when should we do that? Any suggestions would be helpful..Thanks
    Proud Mother of Christopher born 5/28/02 at 27 weeks 2lbs 12oz, Colton 6/15/09 at 40 weeks 6lbs12 oz and Chelsey 7/26/2010 at 40 weeks 6lbs13oz
    for Chris for 1 month
    Colton for 7 months
    Chelsey for 6 months and still going strong

Default Re: Questions About Starting Solids

how are your lo's readiness signs, is he sitting unassisted? can he take his hand to his mouth? is he showing interest?

I waited until my lo was just over 6 month b/c he didn't sit unassisted and I offered some soft banana chunks and avocados as his first foods, followed by about a week of pureed foods that i spoon fed him (it was too much work) so I started using BLS and it worked wonderfully for us, he just ate small pieces of soft foods on his own
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    how are your lo's readiness signs, is he sitting unassisted? can he take his hand to his mouth? is he showing interest?

I waited until my lo was just over 6 month b/c he didn't sit unassisted and I offered some soft banana chunks and avocados as his first foods, followed by about a week of pureed foods that i spoon fed him (it was too much work) so I started using BLS and it worked wonderfully for us, he just ate small pieces of soft foods on his own
    He is not sitting unassisted but his hands are always in his mouth. He watches with aww everytime we sit down to eat. I personally think that he is ready. He did better with the spoon than I could have ever expected and spit out VERY little.
    Proud Mother of Christopher born 5/28/02 at 27 weeks 2lbs 12oz, Colton 6/15/09 at 40 weeks 6lbs12 oz and Chelsey 7/26/2010 at 40 weeks 6lbs13oz
    for Chris for 1 month
    Colton for 7 months
    Chelsey for 6 months and still going strong

here are some great links for further reading that you may find helpful

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids...ids.html#links

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada
    Most babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. For some babies, delaying solids longer than six months can be a good thing; for example, some doctors may recommend delaying solids for 12 months if there is a family history of allergies.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

and just one more that might help

Four- to five-month-old babies are sometimes very eager to participate at mealtime, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are ready to eat solids - more often it's just the normal developmental urge to do what everyone else is doing. Research studies tell us that there are many health advantages to delaying solids for about 6 months for all babies, not just the babies who are not yet interested in mealtime.

There are a number of things you can do to let baby participate in mealtimes without starting solids:

Let baby sit with the family at mealtime - in a lap, booster seat or high chair.
    Give baby a cup of water or expressed milk. Your baby can entertain himself at mealtime while learning to use a cup. 1-3 ounces of water in the cup should be plenty (often for the entire day). Many moms choose to use only water or a small amount of breastmilk to avoid wasting the "liquid gold" while baby learns to use the cup.
    Offer baby sips of water from your cup or straw. Even if baby hasn't figured out how to use a straw yet, you can put your straw in water, block the top end of the straw with your finger to trap a little water in the straw, then let baby drink the water from the lower end of the straw (unblock the top end once it's in baby's mouth).
    Offer baby spoons, cups, bowls and other baby-safe eating utensils to play with during mealtime.
    Give baby an ice cube (if it's a baby-safe size & shape) or ice chips to play with.
    Offer baby a momsicle (popsicle made from breastmilk) or slushy frozen breastmilk to eat with a spoon.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I'm with the PP- starting solids before 6 months isn't what I would choose. The American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk puts it this way: "Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life... and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection...Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk." However, they do acknowledge (in a footnote) that "There is a difference of opinion among AAP experts on this matter. The Section on Breastfeeding acknowledges that the Committee on Nutrition supports introduction of complementary foods between 4 and 6 months of age when safe and nutritious complementary foods are available."

My personal opinion is that when you start solids, you're replacing the perfect food- breastmilk- with an imperfect food. But if you want to start solids- hey, you're the mommy and you know your child best!

I think there's absolutely no reason on earth to start with cereal except that it's fortified with vitamins and minerals. You can start with other foods- like pureed veggies instead.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"