Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice about solids

Default Advice about solids

My daughter is approaching the 6 month mark so I’ve been trying to think of a plan of action for starting solids. She cannot currently sit unassisted, but she’s pretty close (can sit on the couch without falling over) so I’m thinking that the weekend after her 6 month b-day I will likely want to offer something and see if she’s interested.

Here’s our dilemma: I’ve basically been on an extreme TED for 4 months or so. My current menu is 14 foods. I want to do BLS, but because of our issues, the foods that we have available to us are fairly limited. I’ve seen in places that some think it’s a good idea to offer multiple foods at once, but I’m not willing to do that with DD. Her participation in the food world so far has been that I would typically hold her at the dinner table while other family members eat, but obviously have discouraged her from reaching for other foods. We’ve also been having fun with spoon feeding a little breast milk to her just for a change. We are planning on having her grab for her solid foods, not spoon feed them as mush just FYI.

To date she's been EBF (no formula or solids).

So I guess I’m trying to figure out a modified BLS that we can follow. I don’t think I’ll be able to let her pick and choose off my plate just because I only want one new food at a time for her. Our GI wants us to start with rice cereal, but I’m really not interested in doing that and was thinking more along the line of a sweet potato. After sweet potato I was thinking maybe boiled lamb. I’d like to have some sort of green bean in there, but neither of those is in my diet – though I may be able to test them in the next few weeks. We’re trying to get through a corn test just to find out if we think she’ll have a reaction to corn syrup in Tylenol, etc.

If anyone has any advice or thinks that we should do things differently, I’m open to suggestions. I want to make sure she has the best solids start possible, but the tummy issues just make everything so complicated!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Advice about solids

I think you're on the right track already with offering one food at a time from your own safe diet

sweet potato fries (baked without any oil) were one of the first things my lo had and he loved them still does really.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

its ok to expect her not to eat much before she turns 2 if she is nursing well...

I just offer one food at a time and only give foods that I know are safe for me to eat. Banana, avacado, sweet potato, white potato, rice.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous