Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Before I forget....

Default Re: Before I forget....

Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but boy am I misty and I never get that way. I remember how distraught I was over MK weaning. I was happy that she did it on her terms, but I so was not ready for it. She was too young, only 18 months old. But I offered for a month until I finally had to give up. She was done. I'll tell you though, while she doesn't remember it at all, when we are laying in bed (I sleep topless) she still reaches over and caresses my breasts absentmindedly. She is still obsessed with my nipples and always looking at them. She has even looked like she wanted to go in for a sip. I think instinctively they always know and remember. I'm even wondering if she will once she sees the baby nursing.

You don't ever forget and neither do they. Sensations are gone, but something so special never goes away. It will always be that gift that you and DJ share. And you're going to move into even more special moments.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Don't know why I wandered in here, but I found this and cried. I am so going to treasure every drop of time with my little baby because like yours, soon he won't be so little. TFS!!
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

What a wonderful story!! It's a wonderful start down a long fought journey. You have given your son such an amazing start of life with a nursing Mom for so long. You will look back years from now and remember. Trust me-you will. The weaning process when it goes as yours has is so slow yet you still wish it would not end.

My son is down to nursing 1x every week or so...no more nursing to sleep, no more nursing need after being sad or getting hurt, no more nursing through the night. Sometimes if he feels sick...sometimes if his little sister convinces him to nurse with her...sometimes if I see he really just needs to nurse and I convince him to nurse. He turns 5 on April 18th. He has told me that his last nurse will be the day before his birthday. We will see... I feel some of your sadness but mostly I try to remember all that I was able to share with him and for him.

Treasure every nurse...it might be the last.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

You are so much braver than me I think....I don't know if I can go on. I am sad and scared. But....I also feel like I am fighting too much. Like I am/was trying to have a weaning party next month...but I am not sure he will be done....but I was discussing with my friend today (who is a leader) and saying....at some point, I understand society and the horror. And we are WELL beyond the realm of what most people do. And I want him to be proud of it. All of it. Including walking away on his own. I am afraid if we go to much longer he will want to quit because he is feeling some shame. His language is amazing....his grandma and other people tell him he's too old...and he doesn't care. But he MIGHT if his FRIENDS gave him a hard time. (He is cliqued up in his preschool.) And if you ask him when he will be done he says "Five. You won't be able to pick me up no more then either." So in the same way that I think he fought the potty training because he was scared of getting bigger, I think he is doing the same thing. Being a big kid is scary and risky....and I understand. I was talking today about just having a point. I thought it was 4. And that we'd get it all tied up in the three months after....and it's been HUGE progress....the going longer than 24 hours is HUGE. But You are not the only person I have heard who then goes to once a week ect.....I don't know. I thought I was going to be done by next month and now I am not sure.

Way too lazy for formula

I have to say my son did all of his weaning on his own except he was forced night weaned at the age of 2 years 8 months when his little sister was diagnosed with cancer and I had to be at the hospital every night. I think he has held on so long b/c life was tough with Grace being sick. I think he hung on since he just needed that re-connection. I am proud of him for the great weaning steps he has made on his own. I think most of the time he nurses now is b/c he enjoys nursing with his little sister. I have no idea if he will change his mind on April 18th...I'll let you know!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Well....I am going to skip the weaning party next month. I will shoot to have one this summer. There is some much less pressure in NOT NEXT MONTH.

This whole weekend he only nursed twice.....It's happening.

Way too lazy for formula

Shelly, you are such an inspiring mother!

Even though I want Emma to be done nursing, at the same time, the thought of her actually be completely done and never nursing again makes me get all teary! I can't help but feel it's the last bit of her babyhood going away. And change is hard. She has gone 2 weeks without nursing twice. Otherwise it's usually every few days. Sometimes I can't make sense of it, like she'll skip a few days and then want to every day.

So I totally know where you're coming from. And I'm going to be SO much more of a mess when Owen weans, which I feel will be earlier in his life than it is in Emma's.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

So....onward ever creeping. I nursed him Sunday morning....and then not again until Tues evening. The gaps get bigger and the amount milk dwindles. I thought when the lapses got longer the breast would be full. But he couldn't even get anything out of one side. I should let it go but....I miss him so much. I miss that time. And it kills me that when we go to do it there is nothing there. That will be the real reason for the end. I see now. I will dry up completely and he will get bored with trying and walk away. I feel like that Tree in the book "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I feel like all my apples are almost picked and soon he will walk away. And then remember later that he can come back and use my leaves and Branches. Then walk away and come back again and take all my wood. That story....it's really about motherhood. I think it is. I wistfully wonder about how much different this journey would be if there was a baby and milk for another child.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So....onward ever creeping. I nursed him Sunday morning....and then not again until Tues evening. The gaps get bigger and the amount milk dwindles. I thought when the lapses got longer the breast would be full. But he couldn't even get anything out of one side. I should let it go but....I miss him so much. I miss that time. And it kills me that when we go to do it there is nothing there. That will be the real reason for the end. I see now. I will dry up completely and he will get bored with trying and walk away. I feel like that Tree in the book "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I feel like all my apples are almost picked and soon he will walk away. And then remember later that he can come back and use my leaves and Branches. Then walk away and come back again and take all my wood. That story....it's really about motherhood. I think it is.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I'm at a loss for words but I wanted to give hugs anyway. That story is maybe meant as a metaphor for motherhood but I think it's faulty. In the story the child gives nothing back to the tree, but I think children really do, or can, give back to their parents.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on