Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal and EBM

Default Cereal and EBM

I am going to be starting solids now. Do you make the cereal / oatmeal with bm? Do you pump it before you feed? How much do you need? Or do you use frozen milk?
    What happens if I have to give ds cereal and I am not home to pump? use water?

Default Re: Cereal and EBM

I use EBM for my baby's cereal. I use either pumped stuff from the fridge, or the freezer, whatever i have available. If I'm not at home, I use water to mix with it, but only had to do that once or twice. If he's at my mom's during mealtime, she uses a little bit out of one of the bottles of ebm she has on hand to feed him while i'm away.

DD hated cereal but I thought it was better if I made it with fruit juice or water. Milk made it really runny. But she never ate any of it so I'm not sure what she preferred lol.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Just my 2-cents but I'd skip the cereal all together mama. I've read (askdrsears.com, kellymom.com can't remember which sorry) that is doesn't have nutritional value, it can cause constipation, and may cause digestive problems in the future
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

If I skip cereal, do you think oatmeal is any better?

Since oatmeal is a whole grain, I think it is better than cereal in the fiber department, since cereal is basically refined starch with no fiber. On the other hand, most oatmeal isn't fortified with vitamins and minerals, so it loses on that score. Six a dozen of one, half of the other...

But why start with cereals when you can start with veggies and fruits instead? That way you get the fiber and the vitamins and minerals...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been reading the baby led solids threads and am considering it.. what did you offer as a first food? avocado?