Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How soon can I pump and store?

Default How soon can I pump and store?

I exclusively pumped for my DS so I didn't really have this issue since I never got him on the breast to begin with.

How soon after my LO is born should I pump and store milk? I plan to give EBM 1-2x a day in a bottle as soon as our nursing relationship is established. I do not want to have over supply which is why I am asking.

Also when is the best time to pump? right after she nurses or before? I'd like to start a nice freezer stash asap and I'd also like to donate milk. My fear is pumping and then there being nothing in the breast when she nurses if I pump to close to her next feed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Default Re: How soon can I pump and store?

Hi there. What I would do is wait until she is four weeks old to start pumping. You can nurse on one side and pump on the other at the same time with her in the football hold, but that takes a bit of practice. I would pump after she eats, but in those early days they want to nurse all the time. I am not sure how it worked for you when pumping for your son, but know that a newborn is nursing all the time. They will nurse for a long time and it will seem like they just finished nursing when it is time to feed them again.

Once you get into a pattern you'll have a better idea when a good time would be too pump. Maybe it's first thing in the morning right after you feed her or an hour after she goes to bed if you're sure she won't want to nurse pretty soon.

Good luck and good for you about the donating!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: How soon can I pump and store?

Thank you so much for the info! It was very helpful.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!