Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chicken

Default Chicken

According to the wholesome baby food chart, my 7 month can try chicken. How should I cook it? Can/Should I add any seasoning? Should it be white meat? I will buy it organic.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: Chicken

You can try boiling it or steaming it and add some veggies (obviously the ones that he's already tried and had no reactions to) to it to make it tasty. Has your LO had any seasonings with the foods he's already tried? If not, I would hold off until he has tried and is okay with eating chicken and then add seasoning. That way if he has a reaction, you won't need to guess if it was the chicken or the seasoning. I think on the wholesomebabyfood website, it says to give your LO dark meat because it's higher in iron and fat
    Last edited by @llli*ethans-mommy; November 1st, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I would bake it. It holds the most nutrients that way. If you bake it you can shred it with a fork when it's done and serve it that way. My ds loved shredded chicken. I agree with pp, and would start with dark meat first just because of the fat and iron. Chicken thighs are great As for seasoning, that's really a personal preference. If you're cooking a whole chicken, for example, I would season it the way you do normally, but if you're cooking just a thigh for your lo, I wouldn't bother. Also when dealing with seasoning, remember that salt should be kept relatively low (or non existent) until after the first year
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; November 1st, 2009 at 05:27 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Sorry...but, where's the "wholesome baby food chart"? I am looking for trying new things for my LO...she seems bored with baby food but still doesn't have teeth.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Thanks ladies! I think I'll try baking it first with no seasoning. Dark meat has more flavor right? I wouldn't know cause I only eat white. So I shouldn't be worried that he will choke on the shreds of chicken?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold