Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old feeding

Default 8 month old feeding

Hi,
    I started my son on little bit of solids after 6.5 months and he loves everything. Now at 8 months, I give him table food as well as baby food (both home made and organic kind).
    Anyway, he gets two bottles of BM at daycare and baby cereal and fruites/veggies twice a day too there. At home, he's been not wanting to nurse more than once in the evening (and of course early morning). So we are doing breastmilk 4 times a day and solids 3 times a day. He loves solids so much that if he sees us eating, he'll want our food too. I tried nursing him more often and he'd nibble for a minute or so and then would fuss or would keep turning his head and not want to suck and would get frustrated if I insisted.

I know some books say you can do 4 liquid feedings a day. His daycare bottles are 6 oz each and since he sleeps about 10 hours at nights, my boobs are very full in the mornings so I guess he takes close to 24 oz a day. Oh and he's not very big, probably around 17 lbs now.

Is he getting enough BM? I keep freezing milk since I pump at nights and have more than what I fill up in his bottles for daycare.

Thanks.
    Sally
    Mommy to our miracle Arman Liam born 2/21/09

Default Re: 8 month old feeding

Are his diapers ok? What if you put some of the extra milk you're pumping into a cup and gave that to him at mealtime with you? Maybe you could more into him that way? But maybe he would just nurse less, I'm not sure.

He eats 6 ounces at a time, every time? I'm not sure if what they drink from a bottle is the same as what they drink from us.

How much is he eating at those solids meals?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the replies. He has 1-3 poopy diapers and his wet diapers are normal too, 5-6 times a day.
    I tried to nurse him more often this past weekend, 5 times, and also gave him solids only twice a day. But he really loves solid foods and seems to be doing fine.
    He usually gets 2 tablespoons of cereal and half jar of baby food or 1 cube of homemade veggies so I don't give him a lot of solids; he definitely acts like he wants more so I give him the spoon at the end of the solid feeding to play with.

I just want to make sure he gets enough BM and that my milk supply won't diminish if I feed him 4 times and pump a 5th time before my bed time.

Thanks.
    ~Sally
    Mommy to our miracle Arman Liam born 2/21/09

DD loves her solids and barely takes any bm at daycare so we nurse like crazy at home and if it seems like she decreases her nursings, I just always do them BEFORE any solids so she's hungrier.

It's good to wait a little after nursing before offering solids, bc when I put her from boob to high chair she just smears her bits of food all around and smacks her hand in the mess for fun.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years