Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice and a shoulder please

Default Advice and a shoulder please

I have to be quick as he is waking up...............

I had GD in pregnacy and this is my 4th baby. Oliver was born at 39 weeks very healthy although I had to have an emergancy cs due to a few problems with the birth. He fed very lightly off of me for the first 3 days and then I noticed he was feeding ALOT and never seemed to be happy and settled. I had breast fed my first 3 babies with no problems and so knew things were not going to plan. I was in hospital for 6 days and on the third day Oliver started to get a temp so I called the midwife and the Dr saw him and wanted to do an IV antibiotics treament for him. Due to the GD I had stored my colostrium (sorry about my spelling) I had enough for two days worth of feeding. I told the Dr about this and that I thought he was dehydrated and not getting anything from me as he doesn't settle after hours of feeding. So I convinced the dr to give him the colostruim. He was happy after 3 hours of giving him 30ml of this and he slept happily for a couple of hours. Well after a couple of days this was gone and I had started to pump out my breast milk and cup feed him. I was still trying to latch him on without much success (this was very upsetting for me) Well on the 6th day I was chucked out of hospital as they needed the bed and was sent home without Oliver having his weight checked. I didn't even think of asking. Before leaving I asked the midwife how much Oliver needed per feed as I had always breastfed and never fed a new born through a cup and syringe before. She said he needed 30mls per feed.

He is awake now so have to be quick.

Well the next day, day 7 the midwife came to my house and told me 1. Oliver had tounge tie. 2. he had gone down from 8lbs 2 to 6lbs 14oz and 3. he needed at least 80mls per feed. Well I can tell you that was not a good day for me. I was pumping 8 to 10 times in 24 hours and was complely knackered. I decided to give him some formula through a bottle and he sucked it in very quickly. But the last thing I wanted to do was bottle fed him.

For the next two weeks I pumped and bottle fed him. I also let him suck on me for hope that he would get the hang of it. I saw a breast feeding dr at the local clinic and she told me his tounge tie was 60% so should be ok without the snip. I carried on for 2 more weeks and went back when all things were failing again. Oliver had the snip done at that clinic. Since then he only seems to drink an ounce at a time and only sucks from me when I have the let down and then he will just sit there or fall asleep. For him to suck one ounce out of a bottle can take anywhere up to an hour!! no joke!!!

I am here just for advice and someone to vent to. I know he will get it in the end and that I need to get him to go longer between feeds and to build up a appitite but its hard, hard, hard. I feel like a human milking machine and want to fully breast feed this little man of mine. I hate pumping I hate giving him sma when I am running low.

Anyone else got to fully breast fed a tounge tied lazy sucker??
    Last edited by @llli*iamme; October 31st, 2009 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: Advice and a shoulder please

Hi

Thanks for your replie. Oliver had his tongue snipped at the 2nd visit to the clinic. He did seem to have a good feed after off of me and lasted at least 10 minuites which was great but I think I got too excited too quickly. I think he has learnt to be a lazy feeder and just sits and waits for the let down to come, sucks during the let down and then stops after a few minuites and just sits there again sometimes lightly sucking for pleasure. Then and hour later we do it again. Do you think it was done too late? Can I re teach him to breast feed?

Of course you can re teach him to suck! You can do some breast compressions to motivate him to suck for longer. Whenever you are bottle feeding him, try to make it harder for him to take the bottle. Hold it as horizontally as you can, get the slowest flow nipple possible and remove it after every ounce or so, so he works for it. As for latching, you can try the assymetrical latch technique, were you aim your nipple off centre towards the upper lip, so he take more of the breast with his lower jaw and the nipple extends to the softer palate.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*iamme View Post
    Hi
    Do you think it was done too late? Can I re teach him to breast feed?
    You can definitely re-teach him to breastfeed again. There are other mamas on this forum that are getting their LO to bf again who are 4 months old and older. I don't have much advice to give on this subject, except to get a lot of skin-to-skin contact with your LO and have him on the breast as much as possible. There might be more information available to you on the "relactation" forum. Maybe mamas who have or are going through the same situation

It might take time, patience and practice but you CAN do this!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Thanks so much ladies

I am going to give the breast compressions a go. He has just had 1oz from the bottle and I am going to try and get him to go at least a couple of hours before I feed him again so he is hungry. I will let you know how I get on with them.

Thanks for the links. I have never done breast compressions before and it seems such a good idea!! Will be back later after his feed.

Thanks again, I was reaching the end of my rope today....................

He has just had 1oz from the bottle and I am going to try and get him to go at least a couple of hours before I feed him again so he is hungry. I will let you know how I get on with them.
    I don't think is a good idea to wait until he's hungry,better try before when he's more relaxed.
    and my LO used to eat EVERY hour at that age...he liked to have a quick snack and then fall asleep...

Ok, he is still asleep. Has been asleep for about 40 minuites now, the longest time yet today. It is halloween tonight and so I am butler to the door so once the kiddies stop knocking I will give it a go.

llli*elimaka how is the feeding going now? Did you manage to purely breastfeed your little one?

I am worried that he only gets the foremilk (watery) that is why I am pumping down to the hindmilk. Do you think its a good idea to keep pumping whilst he is only taking such a little feed? Or just bite the bullet and stop pumping? I am too afraid that I will lose it if I don't pump, that is the milk not my mind LOL

My mum in law says I should just let him suck and not feed him at all from a bottle, but he lost so much at the beginning I am afraid he will starve!

Oh mama! He will not starve! This is if you breastfeed on demand, that meaning, when he gives you the cue (not crying, it starts before) latch him on. Keep pumping if you feel like it will keep up your supply but only do this after you feed him. At first you may not get a lot, but as time goes it will increase. Be careful, though, you could pump yourself an oversupply.
    Read this on baby getting enough. It's a common concern of mom, and most of the time it's not true.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

I have to be quick as he is waking up...............

I had GD in pregnacy and this is my 4th baby. Oliver was born at 39 weeks very healthy although I had to have an emergancy cs due to a few problems with the birth. He fed very lightly off of me for the first 3 days and then I noticed he was feeding ALOT and never seemed to be happy and settled. I had breast fed my first 3 babies with no problems and so knew things were not going to plan. I was in hospital for 6 days and on the third day Oliver started to get a temp so I called the midwife and the Dr saw him and wanted to do an IV antibiotics treament for him. Due to the GD I had stored my colostrium (sorry about my spelling) I had enough for two days worth of feeding. I told the Dr about this and that I thought he was dehydrated and not getting anything from me as he doesn't settle after hours of feeding. So I convinced the dr to give him the colostruim. He was happy after 3 hours of giving him 30ml of this and he slept happily for a couple of hours. Well after a couple of days this was gone and I had started to pump out my breast milk and cup feed him. I was still trying to latch him on without much success (this was very upsetting for me) Well on the 6th day I was chucked out of hospital as they needed the bed and was sent home without Oliver having his weight checked. I didn't even think of asking. Before leaving I asked the midwife how much Oliver needed per feed as I had always breastfed and never fed a new born through a cup and syringe before. She said he needed 30mls per feed.

He is awake now so have to be quick.

Well the next day, day 7 the midwife came to my house and told me 1. Oliver had tounge tie. 2. he had gone down from 8lbs 2 to 6lbs 14oz and 3. he needed at least 80mls per feed. Well I can tell you that was not a good day for me. I was pumping 8 to 10 times in 24 hours and was complely knackered. I decided to give him some formula through a bottle and he sucked it in very quickly. But the last thing I wanted to do was bottle fed him.

For the next two weeks I pumped and bottle fed him. I also let him suck on me for hope that he would get the hang of it. I saw a breast feeding dr at the local clinic and she told me his tounge tie was 60% so should be ok without the snip. I carried on for 2 more weeks and went back when all things were failing again. Oliver had the snip done at that clinic. Since then he only seems to drink an ounce at a time and only sucks from me when I have the let down and then he will just sit there or fall asleep. For him to suck one ounce out of a bottle can take anywhere up to an hour!! no joke!!!

I am here just for advice and someone to vent to. I know he will get it in the end and that I need to get him to go longer between feeds and to build up a appitite but its hard, hard, hard. I feel like a human milking machine and want to fully breast feed this little man of mine. I hate pumping I hate giving him sma when I am running low.

Anyone else got to fully breast fed a tounge tied lazy sucker??
    I'm in this exact situation. My LO had a type 3 TT that we had clipped 1 month ago and we found out later that she had a type 4 that we had clipped a week and a half ago. She loves the breast and would literally hang out and sleep at the breast 24/7. In one hout we were lucky if she transfered 0.5-1 oz. So I've been pumping. We've been seeing an IBCLC and a crainal sacral therapist. My LO's suck continues to be disorganized. It's even hard for her to take a bottle. I hope someone has a positive story they can post because I'm almost ready to throw in the towel as well.