Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doubts about BLS!

Default Re: doubts about BLS!

baby led solids is more about the baby "leading" and the parent following. The baby chooses what and how much. The parent offers nutritious foods in appropriate sizes and quantities.

Shape really has little to do with it. Spoon feeding is out unless the baby is using a spoon. Any size that BABY can control is baby led. Don't get caught up in the tiny details just let baby lead the way.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I think it's important to distinguish between gagging and choking. My DD would sometimes gag on food that she pushed too far back, but she wasn't choking so I let her figure out how to spit it out. It didn't take any time for her to figure out not to shove food far back and to figure out how to spit food out that was unmanageable. Trust your baby a little.

There are all sorts of foods you can. Steed broccoli trees for instance. Or give a peeled pear or peach and have your baby gnaw on it.

Don't rush and think your baby is going to do BLS and overnight be a proficient eater, eating a high volume of food. It's a learning process and should start slow.

You can do it.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this post. We do BLS. Our 8 month occasionally gags after a lot of gagging at the beginning. It is a little scary at first, but I realised quickly that I had to let go and understand that this is all part of my lo learning to manage food in her mouth.

3 things that helped me from worrying about the choking were:

1. to remember that as long as she was sitting upright while eating and I was not putting food into her mouth and she was in control then choking was less likely to happen
    2. A baby's gag reflex is triggered much further forward on the tongue - quite a lot further from the airways than you might think because as adults we have to actually stick our fingers down our throats
    3. If she is able to pick it up she is able to put it into her mouth and learn how to manage it.

As the pp says BLS is baby leading and parents following their lead. That is the beauty of it IMO and I feel the more you try to control the way they eat the more likely you might miss out on witnessing rather surprising talents you didn't know your lo had or could develop.

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

We started out with purees that I progressively made thicker and thicker until she could pick them up with her hands. I interspersed the purees with chunks/slices of soft solids like avocado, banana and steamed sweet potatoes.
    My dd had a real problem with constipation when she started solids b/c it seemed she would take in just enough to stop her up so I had to use pureed prunes, pears, peaches, etc to keep her pooping regularly. By 10 months she was off purees totally and eating what we ate. Hope that helps. Good luck solids are a lot of fun.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

thanx ladies,we officially started BLS today with grated apple!
    DS spread it everywhere on the table and on his face and hair,and when some got by accident in his mouth he made sort of a frightened face!!!lol
    but then he wanted more,he didn't realize he had to put his hands in his mouth(strange cos he always does when food is not involved)and he just kept putting his face in the plate!!!
    solids are so so fun!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daisysmum View Post

3 things that helped me from worrying about the choking were:

1. to remember that as long as she was sitting upright while eating and I was not putting food into her mouth and she was in control then choking was less likely to happen
    2. A baby's gag reflex is triggered much further forward on the tongue - quite a lot further from the airways than you might think because as adults we have to actually stick our fingers down our throats
    3. If she is able to pick it up she is able to put it into her mouth and learn how to manage it.

Can I add something to this list... CPR class would also help tremendously
    Last edited by @llli*number4; November 10th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.