Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doubts about BLS!

Default doubts about BLS!

I've read a lot about BLS both on this forum and around the web but...still it's not clear to me if I have to do little pieces of food or french fries shaped food or big as baby's fist food!
    my LO is going to be 6 mos in a couple of weeks,he sits quite well by now and has interest in food,I'm just concerned because I see him when he plays with his toys he open his mouth veeeery wide and chomps teething rings like crazy so I'm afraid he could choke.
    once he put a teether so deep in his mouth that it nearly got stuck!I always watch him very closely when he's got things around cos he wants to eat EVERYTHING!!
    any advice?
    thx

Default Re: doubts about BLS!

I don't think there's one right way to feed your baby. Some babies do great with french fry pieces, others with bite-sized pieces, and still others with very small pieces. Like anything else when raising your baby, you know your baby best.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

DD only did well with (and was trusted with) banana in a fist size chunk (they break into 3 of these naturally), and french fry-shaped sweet potato. Everything else, like you said, was getting shoved in too deep or too much.

Once DD started using her pincher grasp really well I could give her small pieces of anything and that's how she does her solids now. No problem
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

I think it's important to distinguish between gagging and choking. My DD would sometimes gag on food that she pushed too far back, but she wasn't choking so I let her figure out how to spit it out. It didn't take any time for her to figure out not to shove food far back and to figure out how to spit food out that was unmanageable. Trust your baby a little.

There are all sorts of foods you can. Steed broccoli trees for instance. Or give a peeled pear or peach and have your baby gnaw on it.

Don't rush and think your baby is going to do BLS and overnight be a proficient eater, eating a high volume of food. It's a learning process and should start slow.

You can do it.

My "test" for starting BLS was foods that were soft enough that I could eat them using just my tongue and the roof of my mouth (no teeth). We did "french fry" shapes and soft foods like sweet potato. Once DS had a good pincer grip we did add in small things he could pick up (blueberries, etc). Early on he gagged a bit but quickly learned how to manage the food in his mouth.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class to learn what to do if baby chokes!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've never had a baby choke doing BLS. I don't start it until the baby has a good pincher grip though, and I usually start with something very soft like avocado, banana, sweet potato, the like. Grated raw apple is OK too, and that's actually what I gave this last baby as a first food. Just watch your LO.

Sometimes they gag versus choking, and the gagging is something they have to learn to cope with.

It's a learning process, and your baby will pick it up quickly once you start. It seems scary, but honestly, we've had less choking than with a spoon.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class to learn what to do if baby chokes!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE.

"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three."
    Grantly Dick-Read

One of the first things I offered DD was a banana. I gave her a third of one, and she promptly tried to shove the entire thing into her mouth. Naturally, it broke off, and she kind of sat there with her mouth gaping, full of banana, and didn't know what to do. I almost had a heart attack

Needless to say, I always warn people about giving big pieces of very soft food.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    One of the first things I offered DD was a banana. I gave her a third of one, and she promptly tried to shove the entire thing into her mouth.
    this really sounds like what DS would do in a similar situation.
    what did you do that time?after the heart attack,I mean..
    and then what did you give her?
    I'm trying to find a CPR class but looks like in my country is not as easy as in the US.

You have to do what works best for your baby. Just because you cut up the pieces doesn't mean it's not 'BLS'. My infant could not figure out for the life of him what to do with huge fry shapes, but did much better with small pieces.

Enjoy starting solids, it's a milestone for everyone! Lots of good times ahead for you and your LO.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09