Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screaming baby

Default Screaming baby

I'm on the verge of quitting breastfeeding. My 3 weeks old daughter (my first child) cries and screams not every time but often enough in a day when I attempt to put her to my breast. She shows signs of being hungry, but won't eat. I feel like I'm hurting her or something. So we put a soother in her mouth and she stops crying most of the time other times like tonight she won't stop crying. We try everything. I pump too and have given her bottles, so I wonder if she prefers bottles, even though it's like one bottle a day, if that sometimes. Can anyone give me some advise?

Default Re: Screaming baby

have you read any of dr sears web site?

some babies are just very high needs

http://www.askdrsears.com/

fussy baBy pages

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

poke around here and see if you can find anything to help

I wish I new the magic words of advice but its hard to get a complete picture of what you are dealing with. Does she seem satisfied when she eats at the breast? Does she have a good latch? Could you have an overactive letdown that upsets her?

In the beginning my DS did not latch well and would scream at the breast out of frustration from being so hungry. An LC put us on a nipple shield although I think we may have been able to bypass it had we known of better latching techniques back then.

My DS still fusses/screams at the breast (only my right side) sometimes even when it appears he is hungry. I think it is very important to calm them down and move them away from the breast when this happens and try again when calm. Just so they don't equate breast with upset. Maybe try to calm her with a little expressed milk on a spoon, sns, or syringe and then move her to the breast? Personally I would try to stay away from artificial nipples this early in the game so your DD doesn't acquire a preference for them before your bfing relationship is established.

Hang in there mama! The first month was very hard for me too but the best thing you can do is seek out some help- a local lll group, an LC, friends, etc. before you throw in the towel.
    New mum to the butterbean 7/09

It might also be helpful to wait another 2-3 weeks before continuing with any more bottles if possible. Baby might be getting used to the easier eating method.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    It might also be helpful to wait another 2-3 weeks before continuing with any more bottles if possible. Baby might be getting used to the easier eating method.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Could you have over active let down? I have a very high needs 5 month old and he still screams and fusses for most of the day, but because of this it took us a little longer to get the nursing thing down. Try to keep your LO on the breast as they can easily become accustomed to drinking out of bottles. Hang in there!
    Angie
    Mom to DD "pumpkin" 8/8/05
    and DS " Mr. Crabby Pants" 6/6/09

hang in there mama!you can do it!
    my LO was fussy too,he still does it sometimes at 5 mos.for me babywearing helped a lot and also nursing in side position.
    for more than a month DS would latch on just if I carried him in the sling!
    I have forceful letdown and I know that either this or too slow letdown could make a baby fussy.
    and I would stay away from bottles too...they are addictive!

Ya I might have a case of nipple confusion on my hands, but the strange thing is she will sometimes go to the breast and eat for a minute or two and then pull away and cry but still be hungry. This seems to happen just before my bed time, but I have no issues with middle of the night feedings. I guess I just need to practice some patience, but it's hard in the heat of the moment when she's carrying on like she does.

I don't know if my letdown is fast or slow, how can you tell?

I have a sling too, and I'm getting use to using it, but my daughter doesn't seem to like it. It's probably cuz it's awkward for me to use sometimes

I wish there was a majic wand that made all of this easy.. but just remember what you are doing is so wonderful for your baby.. and you are trying and doing a greta job.. here is a few links that I found helpful..

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html

A lot of babies are fussy at the beginning it is just tryign to figure out their cues and helping them.. My youngest was a screamer at first and it was frustrating and I figured out I had a over supply and was able to get it under control enough and we have been nursing now for 8 months.. so there light at the end of the tunnell...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones