Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No milk today!!!

Default No milk today!!!

I have a 7 week old who has been EBF with an occasional bottle while I run errands, etc. But I'm careful to pump to remove milk whenever she is going to get a bottle, just to keep my supply up. I have been pumping once per day for almost a month now, and usually get anywhere from 3-5 ounces per session. I've amassed quite a little stockpile for my return to work next month. I usually pump at 9 or 10am and have had no issues, and she nurses 8-10 times per day and is generally content.

But today I have pumped three times (once after each daytime feeding) and only have a little over ONE ounce to show for it! I think I've had enough milk to satisfy her, she's had 3 BMs and 5-6 wet diapers today, and has seemed happy after feedings. She weighs over 11 pounds, up 2+ pounds since birth. But if I can't keep pumping more milk each day, how am I going to go back to work and keep her on breast milk? (I'm a nurse, I will only be working 2-3 days per week, 8 or 12 hours each time.)

I'm also scared to keep pumping after each feeding, because what if I take out milk that she'll need for her next feeding? Does that sound stupid?

Default Re: No milk today!!!

Hey there mama! I think your milk supply has evened out to keep up with your baby. Any time I pump after Lilah eats I will only get half to one ounce out too. And I used to have oversupply and could get 10 ounces out at once in less than 5 minutes!

So, you said you have a freezer stash. That's good. Generally how you give your baby milk while you are away for a work week is, first day they get frozen. Second day they get the pumped milk from the first day you are at work, etc.

You don't have to pump all the milk your baby is going to drink while you are working BEFORE you go back to work. I freeze the milk on the last day of the week and then use the oldest milk in the freezer on the first day of the week so that my freezer stash rotates.

It is stressful to pump while your baby is at home. You won't take them milk away from her next feeding, she just might have to work harder for it. I used to get so stressed out about that too when I was trying to build up my work freezer stash. What I started doing was pumping the other breast while she was nursing in the football hold.

Good Luck. You will be ok!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with PP.

It's totally normal for your supply to even out. Even to have just a freak day where you can't pump hardly anything. Run down the list, are you stressed about anything? Is all of your tubing and parts put together right? Anything worn out or need replaced?
    Try again tomorrow! That's what you have a stockpile for You don't need to be 100oz ahead, just a day ahead when you go back to work.

with the PPs.

Just wanted to address this:
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mmoore1851 View Post
    I'm also scared to keep pumping after each feeding, because what if I take out milk that she'll need for her next feeding?
    Don't worry too much about this issue. The breast is never really empty, since more milk is always being made. So even if you do pump and empty yourself more thoroughly than usual, you will have milk for the next feeding. It may take your child a little longer to get her meal, since the milk won't be gushing out as fast as usual, and your baby may decide to feed again a little sooner than usual, but she will get fed.

If you want to pump after feedings but you're still scared that you'll take too much, try pumping just an extra oz or so. That should not impact the next feeding too much, if at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: No milk today!!!

Hello Moms!

I'm concerned about this too. I recently have had to introduce formula to my baby because I didn't have enough supply to keep up with his demand. And it really, really upset me. I also had a serious oversupply for weeks and now it seems that my body has adjusted due to my management or maybe it was just time for my body to acclimate. I need help though. I don't know how to go about managing this bit. When I do nurse my baby boy he goes to both sides, but seems to be hungry 90 minutes later. When do I pump? Do I pump after he nurses or an hour after he nurses? Do I pump while he's on a bottle? And how often should I pump to increase my supply again?

Please help! Thanks in advance.

IME the best time to pump if you aren't yielding well is BEFORE a child eats. 1st thing in the morning if you get up a half an hour before your child you will usually get the best yield. And while sometimes your breasts won't perform
    for a pump after a baby they will ALWAYS perform for the baby after the pump.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hl.mom View Post
    Hello Moms!
    I'm concerned about this too. I recently have had to introduce formula to my baby because I didn't have enough supply to keep up with his demand. And it really, really upset me. I also had a serious oversupply for weeks and now it seems that my body has adjusted due to my management or maybe it was just time for my body to acclimate. I need help though. I don't know how to go about managing this bit. When I do nurse my baby boy he goes to both sides, but seems to be hungry 90 minutes later. When do I pump? Do I pump after he nurses or an hour after he nurses? Do I pump while he's on a bottle? And how often should I pump to increase my supply again?

Please help! Thanks in advance.
    What made you think you didn't have enough to keep up with his demand? Were you seeing less than the needed number of diapers a day? How old is your baby? A baby being hungry every 90 minutes is completely normal. It doesn't mean you have a supply issue. Until you stop feeding him on demand, you will make enough milk. And that is also how you boost your supply. Not by supplementing or by pumping. But by bringing your child to your breast as often as he will eat. Do you work outside the home? Do you have to pump because your are away from your child?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    What made you think you didn't have enough to keep up with his demand? Were you seeing less than the needed number of diapers a day? How old is your baby? A baby being hungry every 90 minutes is completely normal. It doesn't mean you have a supply issue. Until you stop feeding him on demand, you will make enough milk. And that is also how you boost your supply. Not by supplementing or by pumping. But by bringing your child to your breast as often as he will eat. Do you work outside the home? Do you have to pump because your are away from your child?
    Same questions! Babies nurse very often in the beginning, that's normal and healthy for them and you. It's very abnormal for infants to go long periods between meals. You mentioned not enough milk and then oversupply, can you tell us more about your situation?
    Nursing both sides and then being hungry 90 minutes later is totally normal, no problem there!
    Are you pumping for an occasional bottle or for work??