Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast feeding and bottle feeding

Default Breast feeding and bottle feeding

Hello all,

I'm just about to start pumping to get my baby used to the bottle and to allow my husband to feed the baby. I'd like some guidance as to how to do this so I can manage my milk supply as I will continue to breast feed exclusively for now but figure my baby will get one bottle a day. (Any other recommendations out there?)

Should I pump from one breast and nurse from the other? Or should I alternate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Breast feeding and bottle feeding

It depends, how old is your baby?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Breast feeding and bottle feeding

Introducing a bottle in a way that does not interfere with breastfeeding isn't impossible, but it can be tricky. It does depend on the age of your little one, and also on whether or not you are having any trouble with supply now, whether or not your baby uses a pacifier, how many bottles and how often you plan to give them, and what kind of bottle you plan to use.

Can you give some more information?

-Lisa
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.

Smile Re: Breast feeding and bottle feeding

My baby is over 6 weeks old. I first had seriously engorged breasts which led to an oversupply. Now these last couple of weeks I thought I had a low supply problem so I asked a lactation consultant to come in and see me. Turns out I'm fine, but in the last few days since my baby has been fussing and tugging at my nipple and I also thought it was time to introduce the bottle before he got too old. He has just started using a pacifier this week as well since he was using my breast as one and I just gave him a bottle yesterday with formula for the first time because I had nothing in my breasts. He ended up drinking 5 oz (not in one feeding but over 2 hours).

As for pumping milk, I need some guidance on how to go about doing it without jeopardizing my milk supply in the coming months. I do want to continue breast feeding as long as possible. Should I have my baby nurse on one side and pump on the other? Should I alternate sides?

I'm using the Born Free BPA free bottles. And I guess I'd be introducing a bottle every couple of days but that depends on my supply. I might have to supplement with formula, which he has taken to.

Thanks again! I really do appreciate it.