Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!

Default Please Help!

My LO is almost 5.5 mos old. He has been a great sleeper (nurse him before bed and he is down by 8:30pm. He usually wouldn't wake until sometime btwn 3:30 - 5:30am to nurse again).

The last 2 nights he has woken up every 3 hrs to nurse and we are not getting much sleep at all!

I am thinking it could be a few reasons, but am looking for suggestions.

He recently came down with a cold and did not eat too much one day, so I am wondering if he is making up for lost time

I then came down with his cold and did not have an appetite and couldn't keep a lot in my stomach, so my supply is down a bit, so maybe because I am not producing as much, he is not getting his normal amount before bed?
    *side question: now that I can eat again, my supply should pick up, right?

Or is it a growth spurt?

Everyone is saying that I should pump a before bed bottle and put a little rice cereal in it, but I am not sure about doing that. I was thinking of waiting it out a few more nights, even though I am DREADING having to keep waking up like this - ugh!

Any help is appreciated

Default Re: Please Help!

It could be a combination of all of those things. He's also at a prime age to start teething, so throw that in there and you've got one sleepless baby. Personally, I'd NEVER put cereal in a baby's bottle, especially one that hasn't started solids yet (I'm assuming? As he's not 6 months yet)

Your supply will pick back up. His increased nursing is a way to make sure that happens, and it's also a way for him to seek comfort when he's not feeling well. Unfortunately the only predictable thing about baby's sleep habits is that it's totally unpredictable, especially for the first year. I know it's hard.

Here's some info about why cereal in a bottle isn't a great idea - Will giving formula or solids at night help baby to sleep better? (Cereal, even in a bottle, is solids. )
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Definetly DON'T put cereal in a bottle before bed:
    1) It will not guarantee a longer night's sleep
    2) You're putting him at risk of choking him, because of clumps formed in the milk.
    Like pp said, he could be helping you build up the supply. He could not feel very good and need momma by his side. Are you cosleeping? It helps wonders to be able to and catch a few more seconds of sleep.

Oh! And think about this: My supply dipped considerably now that I'm full-on in my second trimester, and DD got a bad cold. I haven't been able to give her that comfort of nursing because she's partially weaned and whenever she latches on, it's more of a struggle because she can't really breathe right through her nose and she's not getting a lot of fluids at the breast. So be happy you have that to soothe and nurture your LO!
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*michellenm View Post
    My LO is almost 5.5 mos old. He has been a great sleeper (nurse him before bed and he is down by 8:30pm. He usually wouldn't wake until sometime btwn 3:30 - 5:30am to nurse again).

The last 2 nights he has woken up every 3 hrs to nurse and we are not getting much sleep at all!

I am thinking it could be a few reasons, but am looking for suggestions.

He recently came down with a cold and did not eat too much one day, so I am wondering if he is making up for lost time

I then came down with his cold and did not have an appetite and couldn't keep a lot in my stomach, so my supply is down a bit, so maybe because I am not producing as much, he is not getting his normal amount before bed?
    *side question: now that I can eat again, my supply should pick up, right?

Or is it a growth spurt?

Everyone is saying that I should pump a before bed bottle and put a little rice cereal in it, but I am not sure about doing that. I was thinking of waiting it out a few more nights, even though I am DREADING having to keep waking up like this - ugh!

Any help is appreciated
    I've been going throught the same situation, only without the cold. Don't listen to everyone about the cereal It has no nutritional value and can cause constipation and digestive problems in the future(askdrsears.com)! I'd recommend skipping it too when you start solids

Has his schedule been disrupted at all lately? If not, then I think he might be going through a growth spurt, working on a developmental milestone, maybe teething AND/OR probably still getting over that cold Is there any way you could slightly incline whatever he's sleeping in? That way, if he's still congested he can breathe a little better. If he were really cranky night and day, tugging at ear, feverish,etc. Far shot, I would say maybe an ear infection They are very common at this age especially after a cold.

I hope you find some relief soon. I know it's VERY exhausting (physically and emotionally) and frustrating, but hang in there mama
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...