Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much "fat" or hindmilk are you getting?

Default how much "fat" or hindmilk are you getting?

when i pump and put the bottle in the fridge, in the medela 5oz breastmilk bottles, i only ever either get just a skim layer of "fat" or cream on top. At best, I've only ever had about an 1/8 of an inch on top. i'm worried about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance with my baby. I do have hormonal problems (pituitary disorder), so just wondering if this is normal, or if somehow I'm not making or getting out enough hindmilk?

Default Re: how much "fat" or hindmilk are you getting?

That sounds normal. The amount of 'fat' you see on the top of the bottle will vary from woman to woman and it will vary from day to day for each woman. Are you seeing any other signs of foremilk-hindmilk imbalance in the baby: consistently green poops, excessive gassiness, etc? Do you get more than one let down when you pump?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That sounds normal. The amount of 'fat' you see on the top of the bottle will vary from woman to woman and it will vary from day to day for each woman. Are you seeing any other signs of foremilk-hindmilk imbalance in the baby: consistently green poops, excessive gassiness, etc? Do you get more than one let down when you pump?
    The amount of cream will also vary over the course of a single day- for example, pump in the early morning, when you have a lot of milk, and you're likely to see relatively less cream than if you pump late in the evening.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm having the same problem. I barely have any fat at the top of the milk when I refrigerate it.

My son is also showing signs of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance - green poo and gassy.

Today I'm trying him on some formula for a couple of feeds to see if he shows any improvement so that I know its an imbalance and not an allergy.

I'd still prefer to not supplement with formula but I'm not sure how I can increase my hindmilk when I'm just pumping. I currently pump 8x a day for 20minutes at a time and I "think" I empty my breasts but I'm not 100% sure how to tell. I already do breast compressions while I pump to get more out but it doesn't seem to make much difference to the fat content.

Any help would be reall appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Yes, he's been showing signs of a F/H imbalance. He is always very gassy, seems to not get satisfied, and wants to eat all the time (NOT a growth spurt, since it's been going on for over 10 weeks now). As for poops, not green, but he only poops once or twice a week. I'm unsure on the letdowns as I can't always tell when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The amount of cream will also vary over the course of a single day- for example, pump in the early morning, when you have a lot of milk, and you're likely to see relatively less cream than if you pump late in the evening.
    the thing is, i've pumped at all different times of the day/night, and still the most fat I've ever seen, was the 1/8th of an inch.....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lindseyuk View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I barely have any fat at the top of the milk when I refrigerate it.

My son is also showing signs of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance - green poo and gassy.

Today I'm trying him on some formula for a couple of feeds to see if he shows any improvement so that I know its an imbalance and not an allergy.

I'd still prefer to not supplement with formula but I'm not sure how I can increase my hindmilk when I'm just pumping. I currently pump 8x a day for 20minutes at a time and I "think" I empty my breasts but I'm not 100% sure how to tell. I already do breast compressions while I pump to get more out but it doesn't seem to make much difference to the fat content.

Any help would be reall appreciated!
    I can't be much help since I'm still trying to get this figured out too. but, I have read (not sure if this actually works or not) that taking a fish oil supplement may help. Basically, I guess the idea behind this is that you need healthy fats in your system in order to pass them along to LO.