Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building the freezer stash

Default Building the freezer stash

I barely ever pump- I kinda hate it. DS is 3.5 months and I have only left him for 2-3 hours with DH 5 times- so he's had 5 bottles basically. He never had a problem taking them so we didn't bother using one on a more regular basis. I will be returning to work part time in another 2 months and I would like to pump a decent sized freezer stash so we would have plenty in case of emergency. At this point I only have about 50 oz. frozen which would only last about 2 days.

How much of a stash do you have? Any pointers for building a stash without pumping at every feeding?
    New mum to the butterbean 7/09

Default Re: Building the freezer stash

and ! When I went back to work full-time I had a freezer stash of about 100 oz, which was enough for just over a week. (Check out this great calculator for how much milk you'll need to send.)

The way I built it up was by pumping every morning, because morning is when one's supply is the greatest. I pumped about 45-60 minutes after DS's first morning nurse, and I kept pumping for 5 minutes after the milk stopped flowing (to let my body know that it needed to produce more). The important thing is to pump at the same time (approximately) every day, because then your body adjusts to the new demand.

One more thing - I have never met anyone (myself included) who actually liked pumping, but it can be more or less onerous depending on the comfort and ease of your pump. What kind of pump do you have?

ETA: And one more thing - when you pump at work, you also want to keep pumping a little while after the milk stops. A pump doesn't empty your breasts as thoroughly as a baby does, and the extra stimulation will help to keep your body from decreasing your supply to match what you removed.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I built mine by pumping once a day every day for about 2 months during maternity leave. I would pump every am after the first feeding. At first I didn't get much, but after a while my body was trained to make more milk at that time and soon I was able to nurse on one side and pump the other.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I went to work FT when DD1 was 12wks old. I only had a small stash saved up and just relied on what I pumped at work to meet the next day's bottle requirements. I was lucky that I was able to pump 12-14oz total during 3 pumping sessions and that was enough for the next day. So, my stash was really just for an emergency or for the occasional off day (like right before AF).

So, for me it wasn't necessary to make sure I had a large stockpile, but everyone's different.

Oh, and no matter what be sure to rotate out your stock so that it doesn't expire before getting used. A good rule of thumb is to freeze at least one bottle and use one frozen each week. That way you always have turnover. I always froze what I pumped on Friday and thawed for Monday but then used fresh the rest of the week.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Oh, and no matter what be sure to rotate out your stock so that it doesn't expire before getting used. A good rule of thumb is to freeze at least one bottle and use one frozen each week. That way you always have turnover. I always froze what I pumped on Friday and thawed for Monday but then used fresh the rest of the week.
    Great tip!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png